Question about GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

2 Answers

My daughter heated a rag in the micro and it caught on fire.

The rag caught on fire . We caught it and cleaned the micro up but now it does not heat. It turns on and runs just does not heat. What can I look for?

Posted by on

2 Answers

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Novelist:

    An expert who has written 50 answers of more than 400 characters.

    Governor:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.

  • Expert
  • 140 Answers

If everything is on, like your display lights and if the bulb lights inside the microwave when you close the door and press start, then you probably damaged the magnetron. The magnetron is the part that emits those high frequency microwaves and cooks the food from the inside out. I do not think there are any other damaged components. The reason I say that is that the magnetron through that little cavity or grille you see on the inside of your microwave was the closest thing to the fire and was damaged directly. By unplugging everything you can take the cover off. The magnetron sits behind the control panel but on top. It has cooling fins and two wires that plug into it. It is possible that one or both of those wires got burned. You will just have to look at it and visually inspect the magnetron. To take it off by unscrewing 4 screws and unplugging the two wire terminals that go to it. If there are no burnt wires going to it then your magnetron was damaged providing as I said above that everything else is normal it just doesn't heat anymore. You can get another one at a local electronics supply house or from www.mwoparts.com. Good luck.

Posted on Jan 26, 2009

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Sergeant:

    An expert that has over 500 points.

  • Expert
  • 485 Answers

The magnetron failing is the most likely cause. However, I'd make sure the high voltage rectifier is not shorted, the high voltage filtering/voltage doubling capacitor is not shorted, all 3 transformer windings have continuity, and 120 volts is being supplied to the transformer primary. Keep in mind that 4000 volts, or more, will be on the high voltage components when the unit is running. And, there's enough current to kill you instantly. Be cautious!

Posted on Apr 26, 2014

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

2 Answers

My Bosch Micro HMB405 started sparking/arcing with a burning smell. I had an empty plate in there. Was trying to warm a clear glass dinner plate. Did I kill the magnatron by putting an empty plate in the...


Michelle,
You may have killed the magnetron but you may not have either. If you can take that cover plate off, you may find that there is grease build up behind it and that needs to be cleaned off. Grease can build up there without you even realizing it and after a while it can catch fire from the heat created by the magnetron. You should never put any empty plate or container in a microwave because the magnetron needs to have something for the waves to hit. Hope this helps.

Mar 25, 2015 | Bosch Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Replaced the 20amp fuse in my microwave. Clock and all lights work but oven will not heat


one or more of the door micro switches are open or shorted..the micro switches tell the unit the door is closed and safe to use.the micro switched are marked normally open or closed..take note when replaceing them..also their is a actuator lever that tells the switch to close or open..it is plastic and connected to the door latch..it can be broken off or bent from heat,,its plastic..make sure its in place and working the micro switch

Aug 15, 2014 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Sharp Carousel microwave - 1200 watts - Model R530EKT - caught on fire while using


you must carefully and read your instr. manual if some material inside the microwave can be produce fire. Otherwise the microwave can be old and the electronic component deterioring and cause exploding.Some time the material inside from the microwaves, is corroded, and the irradiation can be produce Fire. Tes the indication given.

God bless you

Oct 01, 2012 | Sharp R-510HW Microwave Oven

1 Answer

A paper towel caught fire in my GE Microwave, now it has no power.


Since the inside of the microwave caught fire, the main fuse has blown, there is probably damage to the magnetron "heats food" the interior has been burned, which will bring safety isses into play. I recommend a professional assess the situation on the grounds of cost and safety.

Mar 09, 2012 | GE SpaceMaker Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Sweet potatoe caught fire in my microwve


the magnatron super heated the paper combined with what we in the industry call super combust your micro should be ok to use just keep it clean and if you use toweling wraP it around rather than cover

Apr 21, 2010 | Amana ACO1860 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE JVM1650WB008 Microwave. Daughter used left


probably blew the magnetron or high voltage transformer DONT test either unless u discharge the capacitor possible shock risk that unit is still live even unplugged.... i wanna telll you these days that micros are disposable items because the parts are gonna cost more than just to buy a new one plus if any arching occured that same problem is gonna occur again if it did work so basicallly that miro is kapout... hope this helped

Jan 31, 2010 | GE JVM1650 1000 Watts Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Food in micro caught fire


It may have dried out from over cooking.

This is common in potatoes, popcorn, and other low-moisture foods.

The manual will tell you about that, and it will also tell you not to leave a microwave unattended while it's running.

Nov 23, 2009 | Sharp Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Replace burned inside ceiling of microwave?


Do Not Use The Microwave. If You Need Parts Try Finding A Part Number And Use Ge To Order Parts. Click Here To Order Parts

Jan 15, 2009 | GE JEM31 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven Logo

106 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1059 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...