Question about Boating

1 Answer

Trying to find the right setup that fits my boat.

I have a 1971 Johnson motor, model #40EL71B. I have to completely change the steering system and the control and trottle and the cables. I just want to know what kind do i need to buy or is everything universal. Please let me know, anybody cause i absolutely have no clue, there are just too many to pick from and i want to make sure before i go and spend all that money that it works. Thank you, whoever takes the time to answer my question

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that gotĀ 5 achievements.


    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 20 times.


    An expert who has answered 20 questions.

  • Expert
  • 86 Answers

I am pretty sure that the cables you need to buy are 33C. Any boat shop will stock these for about 40 a piece.

Posted on Aug 10, 2009

  • Jedidiah McHaffie Aug 10, 2009

    I am pretty sure that the cables you need to buy are 33C. Any boat shop will stock these for about 40 a piece.



1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Outboard johnson modele # J15R4SR serial number S 23030015 do he fit on princecraft springbok 2013 because the transom height is 20 inch.

Set the motor on the transom and make sure the cavitation plate is below the bottom of the boat.

Jun 02, 2017 | Johnson Boating

1 Answer

How do you turn a 6hp boat motor to a 8hp motor on a Johnson 1993

cheapest way is to buy a bigger power head
you may achieve the desired power by boring and fitting bigger pistons but you will have to have a long talk with a dealer service center technician to see if that would be feasible to do
as the motor is quite long in the tooth, it may be a better to consider a late model or new unit as the advantages of the later technology will be beneficial in the long run

Feb 01, 2017 | Johnson Boating

1 Answer

I have a short shaft Johnson 6hp outboard, the Jon boat I mounted it on is too deep, and motor doesn't reach water. Is there a way to lower motor? A bracket to lower motor to reach water?

outboard motor manufacturers supply a long shaft leg for just this problem
Talk with your Johnson dealer and check used outboards on e bay
Lowering the whole motor may affect the boat and floatation aspects besides making it harder to steer and start

Apr 15, 2015 | Boating

1 Answer

I have a 1971 85 hp joahnson outboard that is getting fuel but no spark from the plugs it cranks over but no spark... any ideas???

What you have is a bunch of parts that you need. There are very few repair shops that would consider the repair. Being an employee many years ago of such parts....Try googling, Antique motor parts/ johnson. or elaborate as OMC / Evinrude/Johnson. You can still find a parts guy that can help you (very rare) search the web and hope it turnes out Okay! BeeCee

Feb 15, 2011 | Boating

1 Answer

Need to know how to change lower unit on 1971 johnson 25 hp motor

put into nuetral,undo the five bolts around lower unit,take off sideplate halfway down leg casing,loosen the two bolts clamping the gear rods together,then lower unit should slide down[if driveshaft isnt stuck in the crankshaft spline].assembly is reverse,but take care putting water tube back into rubber grommet,and tighten gear rod clamp only after making sure that g/box is in nuetral,when gear lever also in nuetral,or matched together

Jul 01, 2010 | Light Outboard Motor Boat Bass Fishing...

1 Answer

1971 125els71c johnson stuck in forward

Try taking the shift cable off and just work with the engine. Right now you don't know if the shifter on the boat is stuck. I would then pull on the motor lever to the neutral side and grab the prop(take wires off sparkplugs) and try to turn the prop backwards. If that fails see if the shift rod is jammed under the cover. You may have to pull the lower unit, but you want to know if the shift rod is the culprit or the internal gearbox.

Jun 06, 2009 | Boating

Not finding what you are looking for?
Boating Logo

Related Topics:

59 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Boating Experts


Level 3 Expert

696 Answers

ray gallant

Level 3 Expert

51545 Answers

Fabrice Wolters

Level 2 Expert

331 Answers

Are you a Boating Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides