Question about Adhesives, Coatings & Sealants

3 Answers

Do i need to apply seem tape over screw holes before applying joint compound?

Posted by on


3 Answers

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    A rookie expert who has answered 20 questions on their first day.


    An expert who has answered 20 or more questions within one hour.

  • Contributor
  • 37 Answers

No, you would never need to do that unless the screw holes are far too close to your seems.

Posted on Jul 27, 2015

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert who has answered 20 questions.


    An expert that has over 10 points.

  • Contributor
  • 46 Answers

Fill your nail or screw rows 3 times and wipe it all off with your 6" Taping or Broad Knife-
With drywall joints I like to use paper tape (get the paper tape wet first) stripe a line of AP Joint compound on the joint embed the wet tape into the *mud then squeeze out the mud with a 6" knife let it dry-
*Now you will use Topping compound and a 8" 0R 10" Taping knife and apply the topping over the joint now wipe it off with the 8" or 10" knife thats called a skim coat do it 1 or 2 more times using a wider knife each time.

**All your taping or filling phases need to be done 3 times But joints will need more coats

best of luck to you,
Perry Tradesman

Posted on Mar 16, 2015

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert who has answered 200 questions.

    New Friend:

    An expert that has 1 follower.

  • Expert
  • 217 Answers

No this is overkill. the seem tape is only necessary for seems, screw holes can be covered by a coat of joint compound, and sanded smooth after it dries

Posted on Jan 15, 2013

1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

2 Answers

How to. Repair hole in plasterboard.

If the hole is small, use a lightweight filler, applying with a palette knife. If hole is larger or has broken edges, cut out the damaged piece and cut a new piece (hardware store) and glue in position (PVA glue is fine) when dry, fill join with lightweight filler.
Paint over when dry.

Apr 06, 2016 | Miscellaneous

2 Answers

How do I fix cracks in gyprock joints which have appeared over a number of years


Oct 19, 2015 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Drywall screws show

Use setting type compound for filling over screws. This compound doesn't shrink and does a better job of covering them up. Light weight compound is fine but is soft. It does shrink as it dries so you'll need maybe 3 or 4 coats to get the dimple area covered. I use setting compounds on all my second coats for this reason. This applies to tapered seams, end or surface joints and corners. You want to tape the drywall with all purpose compound that does shrink so it pulls the tape tight when dry. I use the TapeBuddy taping tools for a tight, no blister seam. Let this dry and second coat with the setting type compound and your finishing project will go much faster.

Mar 13, 2014 | Usg Sheetrock Lightweight All-Purpose...

2 Answers

Water damage to ceiling

Cut off the loose make flat tape and drywall mud

Mar 06, 2014 | Drywall

3 Answers

Are Spackle and joint compounds the same thing?

They're not the same thing, spackle is used to fill in holes or indetations made from nails in drywall while joint compounds are used to join drywall panels together.

Nov 10, 2013 | Adhesives, Coatings & Sealants

1 Answer

How do I repair a large hole in my drywalled wall in my living room that is right beside the door frame?

If you live near a Home Depot or Lowes they sell partial sheets of drywall. Cut a square slightly larger than the damaged area from the new drywall. Trace this around the damaged area and then cut out the damaged area with a key hole saw or sawzaw or if you don't have those just your utility knife. You can probably buy all the tools and materials for a lot less than hiring someone. Since you said the hole is next to a door you shouldn't have to worry about electrical wires, but just in case, take a flashlight and look into the hole before you cut to make sure. Now you should have a hole the size and shape of the new piece you cut. The area against the door is against studs and you'll have to just keep cutting with your knife until you get through to the wood. Now, on the other side of the hole across from the door take a piece of scrap wood and put it inside the hole and press it against the inside of the wall so half the scrap wood is behind the wall and the other half is exposed in the hole. While you're holding the scrap wood you'll need to screw 1 1/4" drywall screws through the existing drywall and into the scrap wood. The scrap wood should now be tight against the back of the drywall and partially exposed to resemble the stud on the other side by the door jamb. Now you have backing for your patch. Place the patch you cut earlier in the hole and screw it in place. A screw gun or drill with #2 philips head screw tip will make this job easier. The screws should be counter sunk just slightly so the heads don't rip the paper. If you do rip the paper you'll need to put in another screw near that one or else you'll have problems later, especially near a door. Now finish the hole with joint compound. You can buy this at most hardware stores in a one gallon bucket. You'll need a role of drywall tape as well. I recommend the fiberglass mesh tape for ease. Also you'll need a taping 6" taping knife and a tray.
Fill the joint compound tray half way and mix it around with your knife until smooth. Take the fiberglass tape and stick it to the wall around the patch to cover where you cut. Spread a thick layer of joint compound over the fiberglass tape and then gently wipe it all off with one or two strokes. Repeat this until all the tape is covered with a thin layer of "mud" (joint compound). Make sure all the screw holes get filled too. Let this dry for several hours, maybe overnight. Put the excess mud back in the bucket and clean your tools. When the first coat is dry take your 6" taping knife and scrape away any blobs of mud that you left behind from the first coat and then apply a second coat. You may need a third coat. Sand the joint compound until smooth tapering the edges to the paper. Again, be careful not to sand the paper too much, you don't want to go through. If you have smooth walls, you're in luck, now just paint. If you have textured walls then you have more work. you can get spray texture in an aerosol can at the hardware store. Read the instructions on the can and practice on the left over drywall from your patch. Note: you'll never make a perfect match with this aerosol texture but you can get it close. The only way to get a perfect match is to use a compressor and and special spray gun for joint compound and it takes some practice. You can rent these things in most towns if you're very particular. Good luck

Aug 09, 2013 | Tools & Hardware - Others

1 Answer

How to put tape and putty on drywall

The TapeBuddy drywall taping tool is the answer to your taping problem. A one step drywall tape and joint compound application tool that makes taping easy. It's lightweight, easy to assemble and applies an even amount of joint compound directly to the joint tape. It even applies more compound to the tape center where more compound is needed. Just load with paper or Fibafuse tape and joint compound, pull out the coated tape, cut, apply to the seam and embed. There is no need to pre-mud drywall joints or carry around heavy tools. Taping walls, corners and ceilings is fast with no mess. TapeBuddy is a great DIY tool that will give you professional results. It is easy-to-use and the perfect tool for any drywall taping project.
The tool comes with easy-to-understand How To information on taping drywall. There is a how to manual on their website.

Jun 10, 2013 | Drywall

2 Answers

I have several walls that have wall board but were not skim coated. When removing old wall paper; I gouged the wall in many places. How do I repair these areas so that I can now paint the walls. Also, what...

You can use redi-mix joint compound to fill in spots that need repair. I would lightly sand areas to be patched then wipe with damp rag.Stir joint compound till it's is well mixed then apply to damaged areas with sheetrock joint knife. Use a knife of the size as needed. They come in widths of 4 1/2 to 14 inches. If it is a shallow gouge then you can just use joint compound to repair it. Apply a layer so it is flush with surrounding surfaces and let dry. When it is fully dry it will be solid to the touch and pure white.The joint compound shrinks as it dries so if you had to apply a very thick layer you will have to repeat until it is completely full when dry. If you have very deep cracks or holes you may need to use drywall paper tape to reinforce repaired areas.Just apply a thick enough layer of joint compound to fill crack then lay piece of tape on it and wipe it several times with the taping knife.Let this dry then go over it two or three more times to slightly overfill. Let fully dry then sand to smooth and feather edges to macth. There is nothing hard about doing this it can just be time consuming. Most people make the mistake of putting too much joint compound on and then they spend hours sanding it back off.
If your repair areas are small use spackling compound. Big advantage on small spots is it dries quickly and doesn't require recoating.
When you are happy with surface to be painted you can use a water sealer such as thompsons water seal which works well but takes too long.I would recommend that you damp sponge walls and use 2 coats of interior latex primer. Let dry fully between coats then finish with two coats of semi-gloss interior latex. Hope this helps you.Thank you.

Feb 04, 2011 | Home

1 Answer

How to install a fire extinguisher on side of fiberglass center console compartment?

Use a pencil to mark the holes for the extinguisher mounting bracket. After marking the holes,apply smal pieces of masking tape over the holes. This will prevent the Gel coat from chipping while drilling the holes for mounting the screws. If the side of the compartment is thick enough, you can use self taping screws. If there is access to the other side thru an access port, you can use machine screws and lock nuts to secure it. Keep in mind that you will want to use a 316 stainless steel fastener, and also apply a marine silicone in the holes before screwing the fasteners in place. 18-8 stainless will corrode/rust overtime, especially in a saltwater environment.

May 10, 2010 | Boating

1 Answer

Hole in my wall

If the hole is less than an inch diameter: use a hammer to tap the hole edge to bevel around the entire hole. Using the screen type drywall seam tape, cut the tape slightly smaller than the beveled area. Apply drywall spackle or compound to the hole, flush with the surrounding surface, then gently press in the tape evenly. Let it dry (6-8 hours), then lightly sand or wipe over with a damp sponge. Now apply a final coat of compound flush to the wall surface. Touch up with paint.

If large, say 6" or more: get a friend that does drywall to do the repair unless you have woodworking experience! Short of that respond to this FixYa and I can walk you through it.

Feb 27, 2009 | ALi Do It Best Precut Drywall Sandpaper...

Not finding what you are looking for?
Adhesives, Coatings & Sealants Logo

Related Topics:

903 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Adhesives, Coatings & Sealants Experts


Level 3 Expert

102366 Answers

David Payne
David Payne

Level 3 Expert

14161 Answers

Richard Piatek
Richard Piatek

Level 2 Expert

94 Answers

Are you an Adhesive, Coating and Sealant Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides