Question about Whirlpool MH1160XS Convection/Microwave Oven

5 Answers

Microwave not working properly

The hood light on the microwave blew out. When I took it out the base was stuck in the socket. I did not know if the light was on or not so I took a voltage meter and tested the socket for power. There was no indication of power. So, I stuck in a needle nose plier to remove the light bulb base. Apparently, there was power... and there was a loud pop and spark. I killed power to the microwave and changed the bulb. Now, not only does the light not work but the vent fan does not work.. however, the clock and display works. Also, when the microwave door is open the light inside comes on and I tried to put a glass of water in to see if it works and it makes a loud humming noise while the turntable moves very slowly. Is there anything I can do to make it work properly again as well as all the features?

Posted by on

  • rizzolee2077 Jan 24, 2009

    Does anyone else accept the theory that the circuit board was blown? Does anyone know if it would be less expensive to replace the circuit board or just to buy a new microwave?

×

5 Answers

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Master
  • 11,896 Answers

Either a fuse burnt out or a circuit board fried. That's about the only things that can go wrong with these. you will have to remove the covers to look inside to see parts. You can see if fuse is good and also see if you can smell anything burnt.

Posted on Jan 24, 2009

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Brigadier General:

    An expert that has over 10,000 points.

  • Master
  • 8,619 Answers

Hi

You can buy a new circuit board instead of microwave as I think you are smart enought to change it yourself . Click on the following link to buy a newone .

http://www.repairclinic.com/Microwave-Parts?s=a6c212

Posted on Jan 24, 2009

  • Rylee Smith
    Rylee Smith Jan 24, 2009

    It will cost you as low as around $50 . Before buying you can also call their toll free no. 800-269-2609

    Thanks

    Rylee

  • Rylee Smith
    Rylee Smith Jan 24, 2009

    Also if you want to check more before buying a new one check for all these :








    Fuse/circuit breaker

    Check to see if power is getting to the range/oven. Does anything turn on--even a light? If not, check for a blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker.





    Main wiring

    Often the main wiring connection from the house, at the range/oven, gets burned and so breaks the connection. Then you may have to replace the power cord to the range/oven, and the terminal block that the wire is attached to.





    Oven wiring

    There may be a broken or burned wire at the back of the range/oven. If you repair any of the wires, use only proper appliance-grade wire and wire connectors.

×

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Sergeant:

    An expert that has over 500 points.

  • Expert
  • 221 Answers

Istead of buying a board its very much advisable to get new microwave.as its the board problem in your microwave.and lso its very costly and it blows due to any of the wire getting short in the unit else where.so its quite risky to just get the board and fit it will have to checked properly before fitting the board/.
new oven is much advisable.
thanks.

Posted on Jan 24, 2009

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Sergeant:

    An expert that has over 500 points.

  • Expert
  • 378 Answers

See if you say there was a pop n spark.u may hve burned up upscale connections and short tracked them.ovens are high voltage devices and i will suggest you not to try anything else on your own,call the technician to check out the damaged board and connections and replace faulty parts.till then dont even switch on the oven as it may cause more damage the more you try to use it in this situation.thanks.

Posted on Jan 24, 2009

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Master
  • 916 Answers

I'm sorry but this microwave will need to be repaired when you heard the popping sound there was a voltage spike to the power. Once this happened it in turn burnt out the circuit board behind the panel where the bulb and vent are.

Posted on Jan 24, 2009

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

The range-top light blew and now replacement bulbs


My Whirlpool/Roper microwave/hood combo has the same problem. I replaced the bulb twice, checked the bulb and it works, but not in the microwave. I wrote to Whirlpool asking about the problem. Haven't heard from them yet.

Apr 02, 2010 | Whirlpool MH1150XMQ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

The hood light blew and I replaced it. It worked


The cause could be anything from defective bulbs(least likely, to a bad bulb socket or vibration during operation. A voltage measurment at the bulb will tell you if it is getting too much.
Eric

Dec 24, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Can't remove light bulb part from the fan unit. It's stuck!


Make sure the microwave is either unplugged, or if hardwired, turn the breaker off.
Spray a little WD-40 between the stuck base of the bulb and the socket and let it sit for a few minutes.
There are several ways to do this, depending upon how much room you have to get your hands in.
You can take a pair of needle nose pliers and open them inside the base of the bulb so that the ends of the pliers are jammed against the side, and turn to your left with both hands.
you can jam something like one plastic coated handle of electrician's wire cutters in the socket so you hold the other end and the friction gets it started.
Once you get it broken loose, you should be able to take of side of the socket with the needle nose pliers and grab hard, and turn to your left. As long as the power is off, you can't get hurt and you won't hurt anything.

Sirwriter

May 17, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Stuck light bulb in micro wave hood.


Be sure the oven is unplugged from the wall first.

In many cases, you have to break out the glass from the bulb and then use small needlenose pliers to unscrew the bulb base.

Once you get the lamps replaced, if they won't turn on or turn off, then you also have a damaged circuit board, which we regularly repair nationwide for $39.95 postpaid.

Details are at our site, linked is at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Jan 08, 2008 | Whirlpool MH7135XE Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Replacing light bulb


Remove the screws on the bottom of the unit and the panel drops. You can then remove one screw on the actual bulb holder and use plyers to spin it out. Make sure you disconnect the power.

Dec 16, 2007 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Light socket is dead on my Maytag


Yes, this is caused by not disconnecting the microwave from the power line when removing or installing a bulb or by the filaments shorting when the bulb blows. This is a problem with the control panel assembly, which we repair nationwide for $39.95. If you or a friend decide to send it to us, we have *critical* safety and disassembly info at our site, which is linked at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk

Apr 01, 2007 | Maytag MMV4205 Microwave Oven

4 Answers

Surface lights


I also have had a problem with the glass part of the surface light bulb separating from the metal base when trying to change the bulbs under my G.E. Spacemaker Microwave.. I see someone used a carrot or potato but I had not seen this suggestion before I whittled one end of a wine cork small enough to insert into the metal part of the old bulb stuck in the socket. It also worked great and in no time I was able to get the old base out and replace the bulb. I'll save the cork for next time because it seems to happen to at least one of the bulbs everytime they need to be changed. DON'T FORGET TO UNPLUG THE MICROWAVE FIRST!

Sep 05, 2006 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Whirlpool MH1160XS Convection/Microwave Oven Logo

Related Topics:

51 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Whirlpool Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17129 Answers

sonic boom...
sonic boom...

Level 3 Expert

1557 Answers

Are you a Whirlpool Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...