Our carbon monoxide alarm went off for around 20 seconds until i lifted it to look at it. I hit reset button and it flashed up 237 and then went back to zero and has stayed that way...i had toast on at the...
Not likely the toast did it, Unless, you burned the toast or the detector was sitting right next to the toaster or the burned toast. If it is that sensitive, it will start falsing a lot. Placement of the detector is very important. Despite what the Owners Manual may say, it should not be in the same room as a gas appliance. At least not as a combo detector. Gas and co are two different things. They react differently when exposed to the air. Co is produced by incomplete combustion or smoke that fills a room and uses up all the oxygen. Gas (at least Liquid Propane Gas) is heavier than air. It doesn't rise, it falls.
So why have a combo detector that should be placed in a wall outlet, no more than 2 feet off the floor and expect it to quickly pickup carbon monoxide?
Quite frankly, these Kidde Combo Detectors have quite a long history of problems, Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to bother the manufacturer. They just keep producing them.
I have a total gas house, so to speak. Gas Heat, Vent-free Gas Logs in the fireplace, Gas Water Heater, Gas Dryer, Gas Range and a Gas Standby Generator. Do I have one of these detectors? No, because all my gas appliances have safety features buit-in by the manufacturers to shut them down automatically if something goes wrong. And all these gas appliances are serviced and tested at least annually. However, that's not to say I don't have Smoke Detectors. I do, 2 of them and they're placed in the sleeping areas of the house.
Sorry for the long diatribe. I have helped over 30 people who have had problems with this combo detector in the last 30 days. Some had to return theirs to Kidde for replacement, because they were constantly malfunctioning. I truly hope that not the case with yours.
My best advice is to clean the unit regularly as dust and lint accumulates in the sensor opening. You can clean it with a can of compressed air with a straw nozzle (like you clean your compute with). Take the battery out and you'll have access to be able to blow the dust and lint out.
I hope I have been able to help you in some way.
Feb 15, 2011 |
Kidde Nighthawk Combo Gas/co Detector