This is caused by an option on the printer not be seated correctly or there's a prob. with 2000-sheet feeder option.
2000-sheet feeder option? See below:
Explanation of the Issue
- Reset power or power the printer off and on.
- If this does not resolve the error:
- Power the printer off.
- Reseat all of the paper feed options on the printer:
- Remove all optional drawer options, like a tray 2 or tray 3 drawer, and reposition them from the bottom up.
- Reseat the printer on top of the duplex option, if one is installed.
- Reseat other options such as the envelope feeder or additional output bins.
A cable can come loose inside the 2000-sheet feeder option and cause one of the following three conditions to occur:
- The printer displays a 982.xx error. NOTE: The .xx extension can be any number.
- The printer displays a 990.xx error. NOTE: The .xx extension can be any number.
- The printer does not recognize the 2000-sheet feeder option installed.
The issue is with a toroid on one of the cables (see the blue/black wire cable highlighted in the image below). When the 2000-sheet feeder option is moved, the toroid can pull the cable loose, causing an error. NOTE:
This toroid was removed in later versions of the 2000-sheet feeder.