This problem is caused by screws being loose or dropping off a limiting bracket on the left side of the oven behind the left outer wall. This bracket allows the front glass panel to remain OPEN, as required for broiling.
To correct this, first check to see that the two black screws facing forward, behind the left side of the front glass panel are tight. If not, tighten firmly, but be careful not to overtighten. If this fails to correct the problem, then follow this procedure.
Purchase 2- #4 x 1/2" SS Phillips Pan Head sheet metal screws at your favorite hardware store. Cost About $1
- Unplug the oven and place on a flat work surface. Place a rubber mat or towel under the oven to prevent scratching.
- Remove 2- #4 x 1/4" black phillips flat head screws on the left side of the front glass panel which screw into the black side panel. These are NOT the screws which hold the bracket, which face forward, but are adjacent to the bracket screws. Be sure to indentify the proper location of all screws for replacement.
- Remove the 4- #4 x 3/8" SS phillips pan head screws at the bottom of the left side of the oven. Pry the metal tab of the back panel slightly off the bottom of the black side panel.
- Remove the 3- #4 x 3/8" SS phillips pan head screws from the back panel which attaches to the left side black panel.
- Carefully pry the bottom of the left black side panel up from the bottom of the oven until it is parallel to the top of the oven. It will seem hard to pry it upward as you are bending two SS tabs holding the black side panel to the SS top. It will come up easily once you get it started. When it is parallel to the top, slide the black side panel to the rear to remove it from the two SS tabs.
- You should now see the limiting bracket at the front of the oven's left side. Remove the 2- black Phillips screws holding the bracket.
- Slip the limiting bracket from the oven. Place on a wood block and with a chisel (or large common screw driver) and hammer, strike the screw holes on the bracket firmly once, so as to close the screw holes slightly.
- (OPTIONAL) If available, using a rat tail file (or small flat file), at the crook of the spring lever, carefully increase the indent of the crook ever so slightly. This will allow the front glass panel to stop more definitely at the open point.
- Remount the bracket using the 2- #4 x 1/2" SS Phillips Head sheet metal screws you bought. Tighten firmly, but do not overtighten. Check the front glass panel movement. It should have a definite stop to allow the panel to stay open approximately 1/2" for broiling and should close fully, easily.
- Slide the left black side panel on to the SS tabs.
- Pry the left side black panel down until it meet the bottom plate.
- Replace the bottom screws.
- Replace the 2- #4 x 1/4" black Phillips flat head screws at the left side of the front of the front glass panel which screw into the black side panel.
- Replace the back panel screws.