An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert who has written 50 answers of more than 400 characters.
An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.
Re: GE microwave -crackles and sparks as if metal inside
The problem you are having is that the magnetron that does the heating is shorting out and it needs to be replaced before it damages the inside covering of the microwave. www.mwoparts.com is a good source for magnetrons or other similar sites. To replace is easy enough. Taking the cover off with the power off, you will find it behind and on the top right side of the control panel. It is held in place normally with just 4 screws and two wires with terminals attached to it. So removing and replacing is pretty straightforward. Just be sure all the power is off until you have everything back in place. Good luck.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Microwaves use a magnetron to generate microwave energy and direct it a rotating blade wheel to spread them around the inside of the oven. If there is any metal in the area to be heated, or any of the blades are bent, even a bit, the microwave energy can be reflected back up to the magnetron area. In this area there is now too much power and it sparks away, so it does not heat the item in the oven.
Because it is sparking it is now a safety hazard the sparks may melt and set fire to plastic parts in it. This is serious it could burn your house down. Bin this microwave and cut the cable off it to make sure no one else ever uses it.
there is something metal inside that is causing this look for any screws or anything that may have been switch with a repair. what happens is the metal causes the microwaves to reflect back to the magnetron instead inside the food causing noises and sometimes sparks and odor. find the metal object remove it and this should solve your problem
THERE SHOULD NOT BE ANY METALS IN A MICROWAVE WHEN THE UNIT IS RUNNING
If the unit paint is flaking and behind that flake is metal.. You need to throw it away or talk to your appliance guy and see if there is a speacial paint to coat the metal so you can use your MW
Check to make sure the plastic on the shelve holders or tuntable guide did not wear and expose metal. If these holders or brackets are wore and exposed metal it shorted out your micro wave. They need to be replaced and a fuse needs to be replaced inside the control panel,
This is a dead magnitron tube, You can fix it yourself.First order your part at marcone.com with your model #. When you get it you will need to pull the unit down and take off the case to switch the mag tube.
If you're hearing a crackling noise and don't see any sparks, you may have a magnetron that is arcing inside the waveguide. Once this arcing occurs, in some cases, replacing the magnetron may not be enough to fix the problem. There was also a noted problem with some models where the stirrer motor shaft inside the waveguide would arc when the magnetron was energized. This too, caused damage inside the waveguide. If the internal walls of the waveguide become damaged it cannot be repaired and the unit must be scrapped. The waveguide has a special coating to help propagate waves of RF energy. If the walls are damaged due to arcing this special coating gets burned off and will continue to arc even if a new magnetron is installed. This will eventually lead to magnetron failure and potentially cause a fire inside the oven. I would think seriously about looking into another unit if any of this may be occurring in your oven. Better to play it safe, especially with small children. I hope you find this advice helpful.
PS A new magnetron can run as high as $250.