Question about GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE spacemaker xl1800 microwave "burnt paper" smell

I wrap a frozen english muffin (thick whole grain type) in a single paper towel and zap it for 30 seconds on 60% power. It does a nice job of defrosting the bread so I can then toast it. I went down to get the mail and came back to find that I had pressed 2 minutes and the paper towel was
scorched and smoky. (had that same kind of smell you get when the microwave popcorn bag gets scorched). the back wall got a bit of a brown scorch mark...and I really had to air the kitchen out to get rid of the smell.
However a week and a half later the smell is still lingering. The microwave seems to work fine and the scorch seems to be first layer cosmetic on the interior wall. Is there some kind of filter that is "holding" the scorch smell? any way I can get rid of the residual smell.
it really smells just like burnt popcorn bag smell.
any advice is much appreciated.

Posted by on

  • eileenk4 Feb 23, 2009

    vinegar worked on the smell- thanks. The scorch mark howeer is not budging. But it's no big deal.

×

1 Answer

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Genius:

    An expert who has answered 1,000 questions.

  • Contributor
  • 1,199 Answers

Hey
There are several things you can do to help git rid of that smell
First get a mild cleaner with bleach (soft scrub ect!) and clean entire oven inside and try getting that scorch mark off! a little pressure should lessen it ! (there is no filter inside! The plastic inside covering holds smells for a long time! you can also put a cup of white vinigar inside warm on high for 1 minute and leave in overnight!
Please take a second and rate my response
Thank You1

Posted on Jan 23, 2009

2 Suggested Answers

  • 574 Answers

SOURCE: My GE JES1290ML is arcing behind the plastic cover

Does your microwave have a turntable? If not above the oven chamber is whats called a stirrer its probably stuck which allows uneven distribution of microwave energy and will cause what is going on with yours.

Posted on Sep 15, 2009

rhozel2010
  • 267 Answers

SOURCE: I have the same problem, and plastic cover is scorched w/ hole

Hi! the problem you have mentioned indicates that your microwave magnetron is not working. check for busted fuses.

Posted on Sep 15, 2009

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

2 Answers

I have a GE Spacemaker XL1800, no heat and a humming noise.


magnetron problem DON'T KNOW IF WITH FIXING - WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MYSELF

May 02, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

What is the best way to remove burnt smell from microwave. My dgthr burnt macaroni


Put vinegar in a glass and microwave it.
After it boils take it out and clean your microwave with a disposable towel. Hope this helps.

Mar 14, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

In model spacemaker xl1800 no heating but all


Hi,
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with yourMicrowave Oven....

Microwave Oven Basic Troubleshooting Tips

heatman101
gfj

Jan 12, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE SPACEMAKER XL1800 MODEL: JVM1860BF001


MAGNETRON, 99% of the time with your complaint

Nov 20, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Capacitor burned out? horrible burnt smell.


YOUR GOING TO NEED A NEW MICROWAVE . the cap may be bad but the real bad smell you have is most likely the HV tranformer , if the magntron shorts to ground there will be a small smell if you dont pick up on that and your microwave is set to run another few mins the transformer will overheat and burn , then the fuse blows and the controls shut down . the end result , you have more parts bad than you have good . if you google " GE SPACEMAKER MICROWAVE FIRE ' you will see your not the only one , its getting to be COMMON . good luck

Mar 08, 2009 | GE XL1800 1100 Watts Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE Spacemaker XL1800 does not heat. All other functions appear to be working normally, the light comes on and the turntable functions. When turned on, it makes a humming noise slightly louder than normal,...


Possible bad heating element, You should remove the cover of the unit and look at the heating element with the power off. Until you get your problem resolved I would recommend not to even turn it on due to the fact that you are unsure what is going on and you smelt some burnt smell. Just for safety until you fine the problem

Feb 21, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Ge microwave xl1800 has stopped spinning


if the microwave still heats then the turn table motor will need to be replaced.. very easy repair

Jan 19, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE Spacemaker XL1800 Microwave


you need to replace the motor turntable, that will cost you around 30 bucks...its not easy to disassemble the unit you nee to send this to a shop im afraid
cheers

Nov 07, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Burnt smell in microwave from burnt muffin in a GE microwave


Many solutions are found here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=microwave+smell+OR+odor&btnG=Google+Search

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Dec 06, 2007 | GE JES738 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven Logo

384 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1059 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...