Question about Amana HDC21 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Fuseholder melted overdrawing amps and not heating amana hcd18sd

The top of the fuseholder (not the cord side) was melted. Im a novice with microwaves but work on all kinds of kitchen eqipment there was slight discoloration on the top magnatron connections (well the silver square box on top) thanks for the help

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 500 times.

  • Master
  • 267 Answers

FUSEHOLDERS MELT ON MICROWAVES ALL THE TIME its the most common thing that makes the microwave die 99.9% of the time its nothing , something to do with the metal that is usedin the fuseholder , and the fuse .with a long run of the oven the fuse gets hot and the fuse melts inside . sometimes you can get away with a little contact cleaner on the holder and a new fuse . other times you will need a new fuseholder too. good luck

Posted on Jan 23, 2009

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Why did the glass in microwave door shatter melt?


A spoon in the coffee the cup had metal parts

Feb 20, 2015 | Frigidaire Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Is it safe to use an epoxy grout in my Amana RSW458P microwave oven? About an inch of the grout in the bottom back corner, where the bottom meets the side wall, has peeled away.


this must be an oldie cus im not in the knowlege of any microwaves that are sealed with grout , most all today are heat sealed using an ultrasonic weld that i know of
but i caution you using non food grade materials inside any oven, heat generated by cooking may leak out chemicals in sealers and "grout" that are not designed for food and poision the food inside id contact Amana directly and inquire about them selling you a tube of this sealer ?

Sep 09, 2014 | Amana Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Electric cord has melted. Can the cord be replaced? Can I just black tape the cord?


For safety sake the cord should be replaced, the microwave ovens draw several amps when running.

May 12, 2012 | Magic Chef MCD1110ST Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Hi got a microwave and its stopped heating up.


HI. Your symptoms are a strong indication Magnetron failure. This is the principal heating device, that is used to produce microwaves that , essentially, excite the water molecules in the food, thus, producing the heating effect. When this device fails, generally, the unit will run, but not heat. This device is very fragile, and can injure you if you are not qualified to handle this type of component. There is a High Voltage Capacitor, that is used to help provide the necessary current for optimal Magnetron operation. This capacitor must be discharged correctly. If not, you could risk serious injury, during the repair, if it is accidental touched.

The Magnetron is linked to a cut-off fuse. If the magnetron becomes unstable, this fuse will shut the device down. It is standard procedure to have this fuse test for continuity. If the fuse has blown, this will be the culprit. Replace the fuse. Now, if the fuse continues to show continuity, this will confirm that the Magnetron has failed. I would advise to inspect the Capacitor, and HV diode for visible burn marks, or swollen top(Cap).

Access can be ac hived to these parts by removing the outside cabinet screws. Once the screws are removed, the cover can be removed, as well. Once the cover is removed, the internal components will be exposed for testing, and visual inspections.

WARNING: IF YOU ARE NOT A QUALIFIED SERVICE TECH, THIS WILL NOT BE A NOVICE DO IT YOURSELF JOB. MICROWAVES ARE VERY DANGEROUS, AND CAN CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY. I RECOMMEND TO CALL FOR SERVICE, IF YOU ARE UNCOMFORTABLE WITH HANDLING THE CAPACITOR, OR MAGNETRON.

Mar 22, 2010 | Amana ACO1520A Microwave Oven

1 Answer

AMANA UPRIGHT FREEZER LEAKS WATER FROM THE DOOR


Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} Your evaporator coils frost up in normal use and every eight hours or so the entire unit shuts down and the defrost heater comes on to melt the frost. This cycle last about 20 minutes. The melted frost drips into a drain pan and through a drain tube to the drain tray under the freezer/refrigerator where it's evaporated by the condenser fan.


Your drain tube may be stopped up with ice at the upper end because it drains too slow because it's stopped up at the lower end in the evaporator pan under the unit at the floor. It can get dust and mold in it. Once you get the ice out at the top a little pressure with a turkey baster will usually clear it out. Flushing it out with hot water and clorox may help.
Make sure it drains quick enough to prevent refreezing. . The drain should be located below the evaporator coils on the lower back of the freezer.

Jan 14, 2010 | KitchenAid Architect II KBHS109SSS...

2 Answers

I have a dead GE Advantium 120 Microwave in my RV.


This heat could have come from excess current draw due to a failing part, such as the magnetron, or an improper voltage level at the outlet. It should measure 105-125VAC.

A loose connection can also result in heat and melting.

I would recommend replacing the section of wire that's melted. You need to make a good solid connection with proper wire nuts and solid crimped connectors.

If you think the TCO may have been stressed, it should be replaced, too.

I would also check the fuse holder by seeing if you can twirl the fuse with your bare fingers while it's in the holder. If so, then it is too loose and the holder must be replaced.

You cannot just squeeze it tighter with pliers, because metal fatigue will make it go loose again, possibly resulting in a melted fuse.

Lastly, I would replace the primary interlock (top door switch). See http://www.microwavedisplay.com/doorsw.txt.

Then make sure that no one opens the door while the oven is cooking unless it is specifically called for in the cooking cycle. Opening the door while it is cooking leads to premature switch failure and heat / melting of the switches connectors and wiring.

You can find the full service manual online here.

Yours may have the revised circuit. You can see the "mini-manual" for that version here.

There should also be a "mini-manual" hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting, & testing.

dee77f7.jpg

At our Web site, we have a video available showing how to remove a typical over the range control panel assembly in under 5 minutes.

You can find links to helpful exploded view diagrams and part ordering help here.

I'd recommend that your bookmark this link to your favorites.


We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Jan 09, 2010 | GE Advantium 120 Convection/Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Amana OTR Convection Microwave runs 59 seconds and shuts off


This sounds like either a thermistor or a damper switch/motor problem.
Amana's technical support line is 866-426-2621. This is the commercial side but they should be able to get you in touch with the domestic side.

Sep 12, 2009 | Sharp R-1850A Convection/Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Amana radarange RR-9TA no power to display panel or light. measured 110V on power board at input cord. Is there a fuse in power compartment? thanks


Most of does have fuse on them.If you will look somewhere around the back of oven where the power cord come in.Most of them have a ceramic fuse.20 amp.

Mar 17, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Amana radarange microwave oven 1000 watts not heating.


The two possible causes are a faulty door switch and a bad magnatron. You can pull the top cover off of the unit and check all of the door switches (there are 2-6 of them all on a common rail, me normally closed)). If the door switches all check out, replace the magnatron, diodes, and capacitor.

Oct 27, 2008 | Amana AMV5164 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Amana HDC21 Microwave Oven Logo

159 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Amana Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9030 Answers

kakima

Level 3 Expert

102366 Answers

Mike

Level 3 Expert

4334 Answers

Are you an Amana Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...