Question about Microsoft Xbox 360 Console
It wont spin disc up and after while says open tray?? Can you please help as far as what to do to repair it. Thanks
Your xbox will not read a game and says open tray with some grinding noise? I got your fix right here! I had this same problem and with a few hours of googling and watching a few videos on youtube i was able to fix my console. the open tray error started happening all the sudden and gradually got worse over the course of a week. I read a comment on one of the videos and decided to try it. it is a simple laser adjustment and anyone who can use a screwdriver can do it. it works for me and many others that tried this with success. do this only if your console is out of warranty!
all you need is a set of jewelers screwdrivers. Phillips screwdriver, knife for slicing through the warranty tape and a 10 torqs bit for removing screws once the xbox is open.
1. open the xbox (search youtube for videos showing how to open it up)
2. lift out the DVD drive and flip over
3. remove the 4 screws holding the top and bottom plate on
4. make sure the dvd drive is right side up and look directly behind the lens. you will see 2 gold/yellow screws. these screws dont look like screws so be aware of this. there is a slot cut in these screws for turning them using a flat head screwdriver. once you have located these move to step 5.
5. once you have located the 2 screws that are side by side, turn the LEFT screw from the 12 o'clock position to the 11 o'clock. you only need to adjust the left screw slightly counter clockwise to the 11 o'clock position. this aligns the laser. if you do it too much you might mess things up.
6. set the drive back in the console and replace only the top cover with the black circle on the dvd drive. you need to put this back on to test it and so the disc doesn't fly off. hook up the console to the tv and power it up. insert a game. viola! the game will now work and no more open tray errors. if there is still an error try adjusting that screw to the 10 o'clock position and try again.
7. use electronics canned air to clean out the console before reassembly.
8. reassemble the console and game your arse off!
Posted on Jul 07, 2009
This can be a laser fault, it may need stripping down and the laser cleaning with a cotton bud and a bit of spit. Alcohol leaves a very thin layer on the laser sometimes so i never use that anymore. The laser also could need re-aligning or the power turning up. you can do this by slightly adjusting the left hand 'pot' to no less than 282. we can fix this type of error if you get stuck and we offer £5 discount for all fixya members www.fixmyconsole.co.uk
Posted on Jan 26, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 07, 2011 | Microsoft Xbox 360 Console
Dec 16, 2010 | Microsoft Xbox 360 Console
Mar 25, 2010 | Microsoft Xbox 360 Console
Jan 24, 2010 | Microsoft Xbox 360 Elite Console - Black
Jan 15, 2010 | Microsoft Xbox 360 Console
Dec 29, 2009 | Microsoft Xbox 360 Console
Nov 11, 2009 | Microsoft Xbox 360 Console
Jan 31, 2009 | Microsoft Xbox 360 Console
8,579 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!