Question about Washing Machines
If you have ever experienced the problem where you washer continually fills but never reaches the proper level (not an overflow). Or, the wash tub water level cannot be maintained, because the water level keeps dropping. You may be experiencing what is known as "siphoning". This occurs when there is no air gap for the drain line at the standpipe. The standpipe is the drain pipe at the wall where the washer drain line is placed. With no air gap, a vacuum is created, and water will begin to drain from the wash tub prematurely. To prevent this from occurring, follow this advice:
* The standpipe should be 2 inches in diameter to allow a sufficient air gap between the top of the standpipe and the drain hose.
* The standpipe should be a minimum of 34" from the floor, and should not exceed 72 inches in height.
* DO NOT seal the top of the standpipe. Many consumers seal the standpipe in the belief that this will prevent overflows, or get rid of drain odors. This often creates more problems than solutions.
* DO NOT place the drain hose too far down into the pipe. Water stays in the drain trap area of the standpipe. If the end of the drain hose rests in this area, no air gap is created, and this can also cause siphoning. 4 to 6 inches is sufficient.
* The drain hose length must not exceed 10 feet in length. Excessive drain hose length can cause drain problems and back wash.
Thanks for using FixYa - a 4 THUMBS rating is appreciated for answering your FREE question.
Posted on Sep 14, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 21, 2013 | Zanussi FJ1254W Front Load Washer
Apr 13, 2011 | Zanussi Washing Machines
Mar 25, 2011 | Zanussi ZWF1420W Front Load Washer
Nov 15, 2009 | Zanussi ZJD1219 Front Load Washer / Dryer
Oct 16, 2009 | Zanussi ZWF1230W Front Load Washer
Apr 15, 2009 | Zanussi TC7114W Electric Dryer
Aug 28, 2008 | Zanussi FJS1225W Front Load Washer
May 29, 2008 | Zanussi FJS1225W Front Load Washer
Oct 05, 2007 | Washing Machines
106 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: