Question about Philips 50PFP5332D 50 in. Plasma Television
Philips 50 inch plasma green light comes on nothing on screen av does nothing switch on and leave of for different periods of tim before it comes on
I bought my Philips Magnavox 50" plasma in June of 2007. In february of 2009, I noticed increasingly longer delays in the video coming on after turning on the power and then the audio began to delay coming on. After a few weeks of this problem the audio and video then stopped coming on at all. However, there was power going to the unit because the green power light was working. I noticed over 50 other consumers on this website had the same problem. WITH THE HELP OF OTHERS ON THIS WEBSITE, I HAVE FIXED THE PROBLEM FOR $40. YES, FOR LESS THAN $100.00 I HAVE A WORKING HDTV AGAIN, BUT WITH NO THANKS TO PHILIPS - MAGNAVOX. THEY WERE USELESS.
HERE IS THE FIX:
1. Unplug your power supply cord.
2. Remove back panel on your HD.
3. Look for capacitors that have a bubbled or slightly raised and rounded top. This indicates the capacitors have overheated or leaked and need to be replaced. The normal look is a flat surface with no raised features at all. (I had two bad capacitors that were side-by-side and identical: 3300uf 10v. Also, they should be located on the power supply board. My power supply board is in the middle of my 50" plasma.)
4. Go to an electronics repair store or Radio Shack and see if they carry your capacitor type and size and replace them yourself if you are comfortable with removing the capacitors and soldering new ones to the power supply board. The capacitors will cost you $2.00 each or less.
5. I was not comfortable replacing the capacitors myself so I removed the power supply board by removing the screws and unplugging several wire connections. This was not difficult at all. I then brought the power supply board to a local electronics shop that did repairs on HDTVs and simply asked them to remove the bad capacitors and solder two new capacitors onto the power supply board. They did it for $40, which included cost for the 2 new capacitors, while I waited and it only took about 10 minutes.
6. I replaced the power supply board and back panel of TV and it worked!!!
Some people on this sight suggested replacing the capacitors with some that have higher temperature ratings. Based on that advice, I wanted to replace my two that were bad (3300uf 10v) with two rated at 4700uf 35v, but my electronics guy suggested against it. Instead, I replaced mine with 3300uf 50v, with the only difference from the original parts being the higher voltage (50v instead of 10v). I figure if the problem occurs again, I now know I can get it fixed for less than $50.00. Philips - Magnavox should be ashamed for such poor customer service and not telling people about this simple fix. When I called their customer service support number I was simply directed to a repair place --over two hours away!!!
Posted on Mar 05, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 29, 2013 | Insignia 50 in. Flat-Panel Plasma HDTV
Apr 23, 2011 | Philips 42PF9630A 42 in. Plasma Television
Mar 13, 2011 | Philips 50PF9631D 50 in. HD-Ready Plasma...
Dec 08, 2010 | Philips 50PFP5332D 50 in. Plasma...
Apr 20, 2010 | Philips 42PF9631D 42 in. Plasma Television
Dec 23, 2009 | Vizio P50HDTV10A 50 in. Plasma HDTV
Sep 14, 2009 | Philips 50PF7320A 50 in. Plasma HDTV
Aug 12, 2009 | Philips 50PFP5332D 50 in. Plasma...
May 31, 2008 | Panasonic TH-50PX60U 50 in. Plasma HDTV
372 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: