Question about Kenmore 80522 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave buzzing We installed this unit after it was removed from another house about 6 months ago. It has been working fine, but now is making buzzing sounds and has given off electrical burning smell at times. It works sometimes w/o sound and we turn it off immediately if we do hear it. This has benn going on for about 2 weeks now. Any suggestions? Buzzing electrical smell

Posted by on

  • Anonymous Mar 27, 2009

    where do you get the magnetron?? and if this buzz sound mean it has gone bad whats the cause?

×

Ad

1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points

    MVP:

    An expert that gotĀ 5 achievements.

    Novelist:

    An expert who has written 50 answers of more than 400 characters.

    Governor:

    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 20 times.

  • Expert
  • 140 Answers

Yes, your magnetron is what is starting to buzz and it is because it will not be much longer before it shorts out. Usually you can tell because you will notice some smoke marks inside your microwave where you place your food. When it gets to the point that it shorts out it will usually short out a ceramic 15amp fuse inside the microwave. Replacing the magnetron would be the thing to do now so that the inside of your microwave does not get damaged. Those magnetrons work at very high voltages and when they start to short out they seek the shortest path to ground. Because of where it is placed that path will be through the small vent inside your machine through to your food or empty tray. If you are not a do it yourselfer take it to a microwave repair place. I have worked on so many over the last 20 years or more that I have found that alot of magnetrons are interchangeable and work fine. The price of a magnetron can range from $25.00 to $60.00 or more depending on the size of the microwave. Replacing one is straightforward if you are a do it yourselfer. Unplug the microwave and take the cover off about 6 screws or so. When you take the cover off, on the side where your control panel is on right behind of it on top is the biggest part there and it has cooling fins on it. That is the magnetron. There is nothing to unsolder. It has two or three screws holding it in and about four colored wires that connect to a couple of different places including a big capacitor. The ends of those wires unplug as they have terminals on them. Find a magnetron at an electronics supply place or the internet for your microwave model. And replace it and it will work like new again. Good luck and God bless.

Posted on Jan 22, 2009

Ad

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya Repairman can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Repairman (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Ad

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

240V Advantium - Halogen Speedcook Not Working


If purchased "new" 6 months ago, it should still be under warranty. Call repair service....

Oct 18, 2014 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Kitchenaid Superba KEMS307D Microwave buzzes, looks like it works, but doesn't heat. Full normal display, tray rotates, but fan doesn't sound normal.


Most likely causes - shorted high voltage rectifier, or failed high voltage transformer, or shorted high voltage capacitor, or shorted magnetron. If an odor accompanied the failure, high voltage rectifier or transformer most likely. All of these components operate on 4000 v, or more - with enough current to kill you. Make sure the unit is unplugged, and the high voltage capacitor is fully discharged before testing.

Apr 10, 2014 | KitchenAid Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Oster OM1202E0VG 1.2 Cu.Ft. buzzing and light blinking..I just got it 6 months ago what is wrong with it?


Yes! it sounds from your description you have a short in the system, the problem is caused by the inverter board or the magnetron, I suggest returning the unit because the alternative is a huge expence.

Jul 07, 2012 | Oster OGB61101 Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Purchased an MCO165UB microwave 7 months ago. Ran great for 6 1/2 months and then there was no power. No fan, no light, no cooking. It was like the cord was unplugged but the electrical outlet has...


I would have your house hold supply checked on the socket that it is plugged into. One appliance fail but not two.
I hope you find your fault.

Jan 25, 2011 | GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Danby Designer 1.1 cu.ft. Microwave oven model DMW1158W I came home from work...went to heat up some lunch and the microwave didn't work. I thought maybe the power was off...no...power was on. I...


Weird that it worked when you left then not. Have you had the lights inside of your house dimming off and on?? It could mean a bad neutral connection to your house from the power pole. That can cause the low voltage transformer on the timer board to burn out. So the fuse in the unit will not even blow but still kill the Low Voltage transformer. If sounds possible call your power company to do a "load test" on the incoming power lines to your house.. They don't typically even charge to do that. They take out your meter and put a tester in that spot that tests the supply to your house.

Oct 17, 2017 | Danby Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

No vent for over the range microwave.


Have you selected a microwave yet?

many over the range types can be vented inside if a charcoal filter is used, which you must replace about every six months.

Otherwise, you will need to install a vent system in the kirtchen.

Aug 20, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Dacor DMT2420s when started makes a loud buzzing sound


The fan could have an obstuction. I have heard of tech sheets getting into the fan and causing a vibration and vibrating sound.

May 12, 2009 | Dacor DMT2420SS Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Kenmore 721.80524500 makes a buzzing, grinding noise


Your problem is due to the "magnetron" arcing to the wave guide within the microwave. Picture someone arc-welding stuff together inside the microwave casing, that's essentially what's happening. It is a fire hazard and you should stop using the microwave immediately. As far as I know, there isn't a recall on that particular model (though there was on another similar Kenmore/Whirlpool model) so if it's out of warranty, you're out of luck.

Sep 08, 2008 | Kenmore 63662 / 63664 / 63669 Microwave...

1 Answer

Panasonic Microwave Warm


Replace the h.v. capacitor (the silver can mounted in back under the magnatron) and the h.v. diode and it will be fine.
Hope Ya Fix It!

Jan 30, 2008 | Panasonic NN-S960WA Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Buzzing Microwave


the buzzing is the magnatron tube juicing too thousands of volts before emmitting the micro-wave radiation to what your cooking that turns molecules 180 degrees around... guess that friction is what really heats it.
radar ovens is what they use to call em and even people would stand in front of big ones to warm up long ago...lol canibles will love that.

Jan 11, 2008 | Panasonic NN-T990SA Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Kenmore 80522 Microwave Oven Logo

277 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Kenmore Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9086 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17130 Answers

Chuck

Level 2 Expert

228 Answers

Are you a Kenmore Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...