Question about GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
The microwave just started doing this yesterday. the problem starts after about a minute and a half. smells like there is a small electrical short, or like we had put something metal inside and it was causing an arc. the unit is a GE Spacemaker JVM1640WJ01. is this something that i can fix, or should the unit be replaced?
The magnetron inside the microwave is starting to short out to ground. This happens after use there are small minute cracks on the body of the magnetron and those small cracks are big enough for 15,000 volts and up to 30,000 volts to leak through and arc to ground. It is not a small short but a big one. Replace the magnetron before it burns holes inside your microwave. Replacing the magnetron if you can find it locally or through the internet is pretty straightforward. Unplug the microwave and take the cover off about 6 screws. On the same side as the control panel and right behind it you will find the microwave on top. It is held in place with only three to four big screws. It will have about 4 wires with terminals on them that plug into a couple of places one being the large capacitor that stores all the voltage and discharges it through the magnetron. Take the terminals off and I always recommend with some needle nose pliers with insulated handles. There is nothing to unsolder and to solder. Its like replacing the battery in your car or the electronic module. Take care and good luck.
Posted on Jan 22, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 09, 2016 | Microwave Ovens
Dec 01, 2015 | In Microwave Ovens
Jun 25, 2011 | Sharp KB-6024MS Stainless Steel 1000 Watts...
Jun 07, 2010 | GE Microwave Ovens
Oct 21, 2009 | Whirlpool MH2155XP Microwave Oven
Nov 30, 2008 | Daewoo KOR-860A Microwave Oven
Oct 16, 2008 | Sharp R-1610 Microwave Oven
Apr 03, 2008 | Danby DMW1400 Microwave Oven
If it blows the fuse as soon as you hit the START button, it's almost certainly a shorted high-voltage capacitor.
If it blows a few seconds after you hit the START button, it's probably the high-voltage transformer. You'll possibly also smell a faint electrical burning smell from the rear vent after you shut if off.
Microwave can be very dangerous so it is best to have it looked by a professional
Would appreciate a solved rating for expert advise.
Oct 16, 2007 | GE JE1590 Convection / Microwave Oven
1,685 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: