Question about Kenmore 88732 Top Load Stacked Washer / Dryer
How do I open the front panel on the washer to get to the lid switch. I need to put a nut on one of the screws that holds the lid switch and can't figure out how to get to it.
First of all, unplug your washer. You will need to remove the console in order to get to the lid switch. The washer may have release tabs under the console at each front corner. Simply slide a putty knife straight in from the front at each corner and push in while lifting up. You should feel the release tabs push in and the console will pop up. If not equipped with this type of console, you may have a console that has removable end caps. They can be removed by gently prying up on the top of them from the rear on each side. You may have to use a small screwdriver for this. The caps should pop right off. Once removed, you will need to loosen a screw under each cap. Once you have the console loosened, carefully lift it up and lay it back over the rear panel of the washer in its resting position. Be careful not to damage the small plastic hinges that hold it in place. Now you will need to perform the following steps:
1. Under the console you will find the lid switch connector. Unplug the switch from the connector.
2. There will be two brass colored clips. You will need to remove these to remove the machine casing. Place a flat blade screwdriver straight down into the opening on top of the washer and into the groove of the clip. Push the screwdriver away from you while holding into the groove and the clip will release.
3. Open the lid of the washer and place your hand under the front rim of the opening (DO NOT grab the wash tub). Now pull the case from the frame by lifting from the back first.
You do not have to remove it all the way from the frame, just enough to gain access to the switch. All there is to the switch is a couple of screws holding it in and a ground wire. It's a pretty easy repair job. Some models will have the switch located on the right-hand side of the lid rim opening, while other models will have the switch located on the left-hand side near the lid hinge.
Once you've completed your switch installation, make sure you get the case back on the frame correctly by following these steps:
1. While looking down through the lid opening, place the front lip of the machine case UNDER the washer frame and start leaning it back onto the frame. There are four small cleats that must fit into four slots on the case or the washer will vibrate. Make sure the frame is seated properly, lean forward from the front of the washer, grasp both sides of the rear panel and pull towards the case. The rear panel should be seated and flush with the casing before inserting the retaining clips.
2. Insert the brass-colored clips into the slot on the washer rear panel first, and then push straight down into the opening on the top of the washer with some force. If you have the case seated correctly, the clips will snap back in.
3. Make sure you plug the connector from the console back into the lid switch receptacle BEFORE you reassemble the console. This is easy to forget.
Thanks for using FixYa - a 4 THUMBS rating is appreciated for answering your FREE question.
Posted on Sep 14, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 10, 2016 | GE Spacemaker Washer and Dryer Electric...
Feb 26, 2015 | Frigidaire Washing Machines
Hi Keith Knapp, I appreciate your inquiry!
I understand that your Frigidaire laundry center is not filling with water. It sounds like you could be having a problem within water valve, control board, or door switch. I would recommend having a technician out to your home to properly diagnose and repair your appliance. Hopefully this is helpful. -Matt
Aug 21, 2014 | Frigidaire FFLE2022MW Electric...
May 02, 2011 | Whirlpool LCE4332P 2.1 cu. ft. Top Loading...
Feb 11, 2010 | Maytag Neptune MAH5500B Front Load Washer
Jul 23, 2009 | GE Spacemaker Washer and Dryer Electric...
Jan 21, 2009 | Kenmore 88732 Top Load Stacked Washer /...
Jan 27, 2008 | Maytag LSE7806A Top Load Stacked...
Apr 13, 2014 | Kenmore 88732 Top Load Stacked Washer /...
61 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: