Don't waht your trying to with the 3 o'clock position but crank and cam timing marks align with each other.
Instructions from service manual:
Install Crankshaft and Camshaft
1. Lubricate the cylinder bearing/oil seal with engine oil.
2. Install intake and exhaust valve tappets.
3. Support both ends of the crankshaft, and carefully install into the cylinder.
NOTE: The counterbalance system, if equipped, must be assembled to the crankshaft before installing into the cylinder.
4. Assemble connecting rod assembly to crankshaft.
5. Install the timing gear to the crankshaft with timing mark out. The flange of the gear must face the counterweight link, if equipped.
6. Install camshaft, making sure tappets clear cam lobes. Timing marks (A, Figures 6, 7, 8) must align.
7. On horizontal crankshaft engines, make sure the paddle on the governor shaft (B, Figure 6) is rotated in line with the governor cup inside the crankcase cover.
8. On vertical crankshaft engines, assemble governor gear/oil slinger (B, Figures 7 and 8) to camshaft. Make sure the paddle on
the governor shaft is contacting the governor cup (C).