Dear friends, before I begin with the
details of Airtel Live, I wish to thank everyone at XDA-Developers for
working on ROMs, fixes and the support that is being provided here.
Special thanks to dsixda
for producing Onyx 3.0 because of which my HTC Touch Elfin (P3452) rocks even more.
Now regarding Airtel Live service:
Airtel Live is free GPRS service that Airtel provides to its customer with a catch i.e. as per Airtel, you can only access http://live.airtelworld.com
for downloading latest ringtones, games, wallpapers, videos etc.
If you call Airtel Customer Support to get Live on your HTC Touch, they
tell you that it is not supported on any Windows Mobile phone and
suggest you to go for Airtel Mobile office, full GPRS service for a
monthly rental of Rs. 499 (USD 12).
After googling and fighting with Airtel, I managed to get the correct
settings and I am able to run Airtel Live as well access most of the
websites on standard HTTP protocol (SSL is not supported). Google Maps
also works for me.
On Windows Mobile 6.x, the steps to configure are as follows:
1. Activate Airtel Live by sending the following SMS to 121: MASALA ACTIVE.
2. The service takes atleast 3-4 hours to get active. Restart the phone and resume configuring.
3. Tap Start -> Settings.
4. Select Connections Tab and tap Connections.
5. Select Advanced Tab, tap Select Networks button to bring up Network Management.
6. Under "Programs that automatically connect to the Internet should connect using:" drop down, tap the New button.
7. In the General Tab, type the name of the settings as Airtel Live
8. Select Modem tab, tap New...
9. Type the name of connection as Airtel Live, select the modem as Cellular Line (GPRS) and tap Next.
10. Type Access Point Name as airtelfun.com and tap next.
11. Leave username, password and domain blank and tap finish.
12. Select Proxy Settings tab. Tap "This network connects to the Internet". This should enable the next check box option.
13. Tap "This network uses a proxy server to connect to the Internet".
14. Type the proxy server as: 184.108.40.206 and then tap Advanced...
15. Tap HTTP, leave the server as 220.127.116.11 and change the port to 8080
16. Similarly tap WAP, Secure WAP and Socks, type the server as
18.104.22.168 but leave the port to defaults. These are optional
17. Tap OK to close the Advanced proxy setup screen.
18. Tap OK to close the New connection screen.
19. The network management screen should now list the new connection
you have created in the drop-down. Tap OK to close this screen
20. Tap OK to close the connection screen.
Now you are ready to fire your favourite browser. I have tested this on PIE as well as Opera 9.5 and it works for me.
If PIE reports "Request not authorized by the WAP Gateway", you will
need to change the user-agent to anything you can think of using
"Advanced Config" tool (thanks to dsixda for suggesting this). I had
set it to HTCP3452_Mozilla/4.0 under Advanced Config -> Internet
Explorer -> User Agent Custom Base.
I think Airtel has intentionally blocked Mozilla/4.0 user-agent on WM
phones. It may be that they cannot restrict Windows Mobile based phones
from accessing websites on standard HTTP. On other phones I had tried,
I could not get other sites to work with the same settings.
Enjoy Airtel Live for free.