Question about Xerox Phaser 8200 Laser Printer

1 Answer

Phaser 8500 reservoir heater took too long 13,266.44 error

After a power outtage my Xerox Phaser 8500n will not complete startup because of a 13,266.44 error. The service manual says that "the printhead reservoir heater took too long to reach its setpoint".

In service mode when I turn on the heaters and watch the temps, the first 3 sensors measure the head heating up to 140C then maintains 120C or 130C I think. The fourth sensor has a malfunction I think. It reads the correct temperature but sometimes jumps to 200C or drops to 20C for a second or two then goes back to normal.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a software problem because of a power surge or if there really is a problem with the print head since I hadn't restarted it in 5 months. I pulled out the print head and realized that there isn't an easy way to fix anything on the board since it is soldered to the metal head.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted by on

  • ebay267 Jan 23, 2009

    I forgot to post an update. I did a little more diagnostic work and found that durring warmup, the reservoir heaters come on twice. The first time, both sides come on and heat to 145C-150C. The second time, only the black side comes on heating to about 150C while the yellow side stays at 115C-120C. This is what causes the 13,266 error.

    Mechanically everything seems fine. Do you think there's a problem with the power supply dropping one of the heaters? Sometimes on a reboot after the 13,266 error durring post/self-test I get a 37,002 error saying the left something did not draw the expected power. Could it be a tripped fuse or something?

    The data suggests it could be the head or something else, but I'm a novice printer tech and an expert at fixing computers. So it bugs me that I can't find a resolution.

  • ebay267 Jan 24, 2009

    It's not power since it is plugged into the wall with a 6' 10ga cord. I know the heater works because it turns on at the first turn on but not the second. I also only hear one click instead of two meaning only one is turning on. Do you know how much it costs to take it to a Xerox shop? I live in Seattle so there should be one close.



1 Answer

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.


    An expert that hasĀ over 10 points.

    Problem Solver:

    An expert who has answered 5 questions.

  • Contributor
  • 15 Answers

Print-head is shot... You'll need a new one, I see power spikes wiping them out quite often, Leaving your Xerox Phaser Solid-Ink printer on all the time usually isnt a problem.. but be smart about it... if a storm is comming or the forcast says lightning, shut it down :)

Posted on Jan 23, 2009

  • Mike Spooner Jan 24, 2009

    Unfortunately the Temprature probes in the print-head are non repairable, the only ones who can are the xerox repair depot in ohio, which requires what i understand to be a rather involved process with many specalized tools and technique's And the "under current" of the heater tells me that its not as much the probes as the heating element itself, which, same deal, Xerox Rebuild-shop repair only. Now... one thing i've seen agrivate this kind of problem is if the printer is under-volt'd at the AC mains, Many people dont understand the importance of good power to their electronics, and the average PC will handle rather horrible incomming power in stride, however thease printers can draw a peak of almost 1800 watts at Cold Startup, with that kind of peak demand you dont EVER want to connect a solid ink printer to ANYTHING but DIRECTLY to the wall.. No plug strips, no 2x6 Power-splitters, no extension cords (unless theyre short and 10ga wire or larger) and ABSOLOUTELY NEVER to a UPS unless your UPS is designed and built for heavy spike loads (only the largest Rack-Mount UPS's can handle the load) ... and in all seriousness you need to ascertain what else is on the circuit with the printer. A Server?, a High Wattage Computer? Coffee Pot?

    I work on dozens of thease printers a month, and honestly i see 60% of the time problems can be tracked back to power.

    The way to test, Turn everything off on the circuit (including the printer) measure the voltage accross the AC jack with your meter, then turn the printer on, if you see more then a 5% (usually about 3-5vac) drop in the first 10-15 min of printer life (startup proceadure, all the way to ready) you need to have your power evaluated by a professional electrician.

    Long Story Short, If you dont have a power problem, you have about a 80% chance your print-head has failed, and a 20% chance your electronics module has failed. If you have warranty on the printer... USE IT!.. those 2 repairs out of warranty arent trivial or cheap, and i would HIGHLY recomend no-one try it themselves... Things can go Very Badly Very Quickly with tiny "Gotchas" in the print-head replacement process..

    Hope this helps!



1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya Technician can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Technician (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

:I have a Xerox Phaser 8500 with the following error: 13.323.47:31989. Any ideas what this is?

This fault code is saying that the printhead reservoir thermistor circuit is open. Unfortunately, only a printhead replacement will solve this problem.

Jan 09, 2011 | Xerox Phaser 8500N Printer

1 Answer

Xerox phaser 8500 fault 37,018.45:7725

37,018.45: Head Maintenance Clutch Disconnect. The Head Maintenance Clutch is not drawing the expected power from the supply.
You'll probably need service.

Jun 20, 2010 | Xerox Phaser 8500N Printer

1 Answer

Getting this error code on 8550 Phaser: 37,006,42:26076 Have been having problems with the fan

Hi outonalimbwi:
Here is your problem.
37,006.42: PEST - Drum disconnect. The drum heater is not drawing the expected power from the supply.

Troubleshooting Procedure
Step Questions and Actions Yes No
1 1.
Run the appropriate diagnostic test:
37,002.47 = Left Jetstack Heater
= Right Jetstack Heater
, 37,005.41 = Reservoir Heaters
= Drum Heater
= Preheat Heater
= (8500/8550) All ink melters
= (8400) Ink Melt 1
= (8500/8550) Ink Melt 1
= (8400) Ink Melt 2
= (8500/8550)Ink Melt 2
= (8400) Ink Melt 3
= (8500/8550)Ink Melt 3
= (8400) Ink Melt 4
= (8500/8550)Ink Melt 4
Did the test pass?
Go to Step 3. Go to Step 2.
2 1. Check the wiring running from the component to the printhead.
2. Is the wiring damaged or not working properly?
Replace the wiring harness.
Replace in the following order:
■ Drum assembly
■ Preheater
■ Printhead
■ Ink loader

Aug 11, 2009 | Xerox Phaser 8500N Printer

1 Answer

Phaser 8500dn error code 13,266,44

You have either an intermittent Electronics module or a intermittent print head. Lowest cost new from Xerox is $750.
Phaser printers are expensive.

May 05, 2009 | Xerox Phaser 8500/DN Printer

1 Answer

Phaser 8500 reservoir heater took too long 13,266.44 error

Most likely you have a bad print head. There is an outside chance that the electronics module is bad, but with the monitors acting as you describe, I would say the print head heater is malfunctioning of the sensor is defective. Either way you have to replace the print head. No uncommon.

Jan 20, 2009 | Xerox Phaser 8500/DN Printer

1 Answer

Xerox Phaser 8500N Printer Error 09,037.45:9085

You have to go into Diagnostics. Once in Diagnostics arrow down to function menu.
Then select
Then arrow down to ClearISCfaults hit OK
follow instructions on screen.

Nov 24, 2008 | Xerox Phaser 8500/DN Printer

1 Answer

Xerox Phaser 8500 does not turn on at all

Most likely the electronics module has gone bad.

Sep 11, 2008 | Xerox Phaser 8500N Printer

2 Answers

Xerox Phaser 8500N Printer Error

That is a yellow ink stick fault.
One is most likely stuck. cracked or otherwise not advance to the front of the ink loader. Check the sticks

May 27, 2008 | Xerox Phaser 8500/DN Printer

1 Answer

Phaser 8500N color problem

There is a process called TEKCOLOR correction.
It is on the site.
Search for phaser 8500 under the support, in support in the search area enter.
Solutions for Colors are Off or Wrong

This will take you through the process in the correct steps to resolve your issue

Nov 07, 2007 | Xerox Phaser 8500N Printer

1 Answer

Fault 37,008.44:6069

That is a pre heater fault.
Most likley the pre heater needs to be replaced

Aug 29, 2007 | Xerox Phaser 8500N Printer

Not finding what you are looking for?
Xerox Phaser 8200 Laser Printer Logo

312 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Xerox Office Equipment & Supplies Experts


Level 2 Expert

97 Answers


Level 1 Expert

33 Answers

Philip Hughes

Level 2 Expert

72 Answers

Are you a Xerox Office Equipment and Supply Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides