An expert who has written 20 answers of more than 400 characters.
Re: PS3 Wont load system menu
This is usually caused by one of two things:
1) If the wave is still moving but you do not get a menu, then it is most likely the hard drive is having problems. Try taking it out and turn on the system to see if it continues past the wave screen...then you will know for sure.
2) If the wave is not moving (frozen) on the screen, then it is probably a problem with the GPU and will need to be serviced.
If it is under warranty, I would send it in. Taking out the hard drive will not void the warranty, but taking apart the console will.....Hope this helps...
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
same problem just hapened today 5/11/2010 after trying system restore yellow light [down load] came on for few flashes and now nothing afraid to force a shutdown now in case it ***** it up even more any soloutions on how to fix this other than bouncing the machine off the wall
There is a huge problem occuring right across the board at this very moment with the PSN Network. Some consoles are not synching properly due to an internal clock error and causing problems exactly like you describe. This is happening even when games are offline owing to trophies not synching properly.
For a full breakdown please look at this FixYa Tip.
If the solution helps, please leave a vote for it. Thanks.
Try going in to the playstation diagnostic menu. This is accessible as follows:
Make sure you have the controller charger cable plugged in and your controller plugged in before you start. While the PS3 is off press and hold the power button, the PS3 will start, beep 3 times and then turn off again. Once it's switched off take your finger off the power button for a second or two then put it back on, listening out for two beeps, then remove it. On the screen it will ask you to plug your controller in and press the PS button, do so and you'll be presented with 6 options.
The first one you want to try is restore file system, this will check your PS3 for any errors on the hard drive, and correct them if they can. This may take a little while but let it run through and see if it works.
If not then move on to the next option, but BACK UP YOUR DATA BEFORE DOING SO, the next step will wipe your PS3 clean! Repeat the process above until you get to the menu and then select "Rebuild database".
Try these two first and let me know if it helps! :)
This is a common HDD error. Please contact your reseller if your PS3 is in its warranty.
Note: Giving punches in your equipment is a common sollution but a wrong one, because you can damage even more the equipment. I.E: The HDD needle can break or scratch the HDD surface.
Also, warranty is violated whan misuse occurs.
I had a similar problem. My PS3 did not start the disk based games.
Those disk based games were not visible in the game menu. I did not
have problems with the normal movie DVDs or Movie Blu Rays. Those were
working fine. Also downloaded games were working ok.
In case you have the similar problem, you should try the following steps;
The PS3 has a special Recovery Menu, which you can access in the following way;:
1. Turn off Playstation 3. 2. Hold the power button down; the system will turn on and turn off once again. 3. Once the System has been shutdown, re-press you finger until you hear 2 consecutive beeps 4. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button. 5. You will be prompted to plug in your controller via USB and then hit the PS button 6. The Recovery menu will pop up.
The current Recovery Menu supports:
• Restart System: Restarts the PLAYSTATION 3 System.
• Restore Default Settings: Reset all system settings back to default.
• Restore File System: Checks for corrupt/missing system files.
• Rebuild Database: Rebuilds the OS for the PLAYSTATION 3.
• Restore PS3 System: Fresh restore; Deletes everything and starts from Scratch.
• System Update: Update the PLAYSTATION 3 System
Select option "Rebuild Database".
PS3 has executed the DB rebuilding operation, the disc games will be
visible again in the menu and are starting automatically when inserted
This is a major problem caused by this update, some wont read discs, other wont load the menus. Consult the Sony website for updates or solutions but a popular solution is to enter recovery mode on the ps3, which restarts ps3 totally but formats the ps3, losing data. If you think this is viable, i have linked to the process but here it is:
Turn off Ps3 Hold the power button down; the system will turn on and turn off once again Once the system has been shutdown, re-press your finger until you hear dual beeps When you hear the 2 beeps remove finger power button You will be asked to plug in your controller and press the ps button This will enter recovery menu, which is:
Recovery menu - restart system - restore default settings - restore file system - rebuild database - restore ps3 - system update
Each setting does a different function, consult the manual or PS3 site for consequences but be warned: YOU RISK LOSING ALL DATA IF YOU DO THIS. BACK IT UP. This is not a proven fix for this issue as it is the update which seems to have totalled many PS3's but has proven effective and worked when my discs stuck on title screens, i selected first restart system, then restore default settings the 2 times i have done it and it fixed the ps3 but i lost all of my data.
we have the same problem but i got one step to make it enter the system,, when turning on ur ps3 u nid to hold the switch until u hear the 2nd sound,, once that happen the system will show up but there is still a problem in my ps3,, u can see the system but it will not load games or any video icons in the system,, u will only see settings configuration there but once u click it the ps3 will freeze,, comment me if u had the same problem in entering the system,, i doubt that i need to format the hdd via pc,,