Question about Garmin nuvi 200W GPS Receiver

1 Answer

Warning on page 12 of the Garmin 200W Series

It states that the unit contains chemicals known to cause cancer, birth defects or reproductive harm.

I haven't used mine yet as I've just bought it and like to read the manuals before using.

Can you advise me on the above and if I think it is harmful can I have a refund?

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that gotĀ 5 achievements.


    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 20 times.


    An expert who has answered 20 questions.

  • Expert
  • 74 Answers

This is a statutory warning (depending on the country) of what effect some materials contained within the unit might have on you. The effects described are possibly caused by exposure to large amounts of the material in some cases, not the amount included in the product. Unless you break the unit you won't come into contact with them so it is not normally an issue. If you do break it take care in collecting up the pieces (use throw away gloves) and dispose of electronic equipment in the correct manner for what ever country you are in.

Posted on Jan 20, 2009


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

The Keurig Hot K200 has a warning for Canada that the machine contains Chemicals including Lead. Is safe to use or harmful to your health?

anything containing lead is harmful to your health and should be disposed of
Lead in the body causes gum problems and brain damage and accumulates in the body

Feb 19, 2018 | Keurig Coffee Makers & Espresso Machines

6 Answers


The most common difference between e-cigarette and traditional cigarette is that e-cigarette do not contain tobacco. Tobacco is the main ingredient in a cigarette, which cause Cancer. Traditional cigarette contains lots of harmful chemicals.
The body's reaction to many of the chemicals in traditional cigarette smoke causes long-lasting inflammation, which in turn leads to chronic diseases like bronchitis, emphysema, and heart disease.
E cigarettes are completely different. They use liquefied nicotine and produce less-harmful water vapor instead of harmful smoke.
E cigarette comes with various flavors. It contains e-liquid, which adds flavor to it. You can refer Shake N vape for more details.


Nov 24, 2015 | Computers & Internet

1 Answer

It says on the insert the product contains chemicals and lead known to cause cancer and birth defects. wash hands after handling product. is it safe to use. I think not.

This sounds like the California warnings placed on many items. Assemble the product, and use according to manufacturer recommendations. It will work fine for you.

May 28, 2015 | Grilling

1 Answer

# 60758 Solar dragon fly lights. Is there a way to make them stop falshing?

Warning Warning Assembling Solar Powered Dragonfly Humming Bird and...
Your author recently purchased some decorative garden lights at a garage sale and found that they could have endangered his family. Being a typical man, he took the lights out of the box and assembled them without reading important safety warnings in the owner's manual. Fortunately providence offered protection despite such negligence. As a public service, we have provided the opportunity for others to avoid such hazards. Please read below the fold for some important safety information.

The owner's manual for these garden lights actually lists the following hazards to be considered during assembly:
Important Safety Information
  • Assemble only according to these instructions. Improper assembly can create hazards
  • Wear ANSI-approved safety goggles during assembly
  • Keep assembly area clean and well lit
  • Keep bystanders out of the area during assembly
  • Do not assemble when tired or when under the influence of drugs or medication
  • Position battery in proper polarity and do not install batteries of different types, charge levels, or capacities together
  • WARNING: The brass components of this product contain lead, a chemical known in the State of California to cause birth defects (or other reproductive harm). (California Health & Safety Code Section 25249.5 et. seq.)
  • This is not a toy.
  • Do not allow children to play with or near this item
  • Use as intended only

The manufacturer went to great lengths it seems to bring such a product to homes and gardens in America. A lot of good men were lost. Hopefully future customers wanting happy, colorful garden night lights will be safe and the past sacrifices of these unsuspecting men, too eager to assemble butterflies without reading the directions first, will not have been in vain.
By Darren Smith

May 22, 2015 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Is the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics saying that my lipstick or my deodorant can give me cancer?

The chemicals present in any one cosmetic product are unlikely to cause harm. But none of us use just one product. Think about how many products you use in a single day - from toothpaste to soap, shampoo, hair conditioner, deodorant, body lotion, shaving products and makeup - and how many products you use in a year, and over a lifetime. Small amounts of toxic chemicals add up and can accumulate in our bodies through cosmetic use and through other chemical exposures in food, water and air. Chemicals linked to cancer and birth defects do not belong in personal care products, period.

Nov 22, 2010 | Health & Beauty

1 Answer

Causes cancer?

It's a result of Proposition 65 (here's a wiki page about it) a California law requiring that sticker on any product containing lead, among other things.

Your GPS has electrical components which are attached with solder, a tin/lead alloy. Since it contains lead, the law says that it must bear that warning.

If you don't eat it, you personally should be fine.

If you recycle it instead of throwing it in the trash, the groundwater should be fine.

Dec 18, 2009 | Garmin nuvi 250W GPS Receiver

1 Answer

I was concerned about the warning on the B 30 Mini Brewer about the Lead in the product leading to cancer. jg

Due to current laws, all products containing components with known harmful substances have to disclose to the consumer. In this case the components containing a trace of lead do not come in contact with your consumable beverage. Now, if you were to eat the coffee maker in its entirety at a rate of say ten thousand a day every day for 1000 years you might have a few percent greater chance of developing cancer. Lng winded way t say "No worries".... Eric

Aug 29, 2009 | Keurig Ultra B50 1-Cup Coffee Maker

1 Answer

Is the Garmin Nuvi 300 GPS still operational

So sorry to hear of your troubles. Here is the Garmin website addy which should give you all the advise you desire.

Apr 30, 2009 | Garmin nuvi 250W GPS Receiver

1 Answer

Info. for Model No. MP-CD450 indicates a "Warning: Handling the

Hi there. The majority of electrical apparatus use cords that contain a small quantity of lead.
This metal is dangerous if ingested, and should not be a main concerned if handled, providing that you wash your hands afterward.

I quote what American Cancer Society says:

Many electrical wires and cables have small amounts of lead in their outside insulation (surface covering), which can rub off on the hands of people who touch the wires. People can be exposed to lead by ingesting it, so if they eat or put their hands in their mouths without washing up after handling these wires, they can take in small amounts of lead. The bigger hazard is likely to be to toddlers and babies who put wires in their mouths. Since they crawl around on the floor, it can be challenging to keep them away from wires. How can I avoid exposure (and protect children in the house)?
  • The most important point to avoid exposure is to wash your hands after handling the electrical cords to avoid swallowing any lead that rubs off onto them.
  • Don't eat or feed children while handling lead-containing cords or stringing holiday lights.
  • Since small children are more likely to put cords, fingers, and other objects in their mouths, keep lead-containing wires out of their reach.
  • Children are more affected by lead (see ACS document, Lead), and should always have their hands washed before handling food and eating.

Apr 15, 2009 | Coby MP-CD450 Radio/Cassette/CD Boombox

Not finding what you are looking for?
Garmin nuvi 200W GPS Receiver Logo

Related Topics:

83 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Garmin GPS Experts


Level 3 Expert

2130 Answers


Level 3 Expert

77932 Answers

TO Lady

Level 3 Expert

638 Answers

Are you a Garmin GPS Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides