The bernzomatic patio heater will stay lit only if I continuously press the control knob
More than likely it is a bad thermocoupler. The thermocoupler is that pointed piece that receives the shock when pressing the ignite knob. You will have to take the unit apart to get to it. It is the pointed part with stiff wire attached that is between the shock electrode and the pilot light. It could also be the magnetic valve at the base of your control knob, but I doubt it. It could also be the tip switch which you can test with a simple continuity bulb or tester. The tip switch is wired inline between the thermocoupler and the control valve and knob assembly. It is about nickle size and has 2 wires attached to it. You can test the magnetic valve by removing it from bottom or base of the control knob and touch one end of it on a AA battery and the other end of it jumper to the opposite end of the same battery while depressing the spring at the same time. If the magnetic switch is working you will feel the magnets attract until you pull the battery or jumper wire away disrupting the connection. There is also a way to measure the resistance of the thermocouple but if you have tested the other two items you can bank that the thermocoupler is bad. Before and after make sure you don't have any leaks by using a soapy water in a spray bottle at all of the gas connections as per the owners manual.
Jan 14, 2011 |
RTO Bernzomatic Brushed Nickel Patio...