Question about GE JE1540 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE Microwave strats, runs, but not heating and have bad odor

I have a JE1540WW01 build in Microwave from GE and it suddenly lost its heating function and giving out a bad odor. Can anyone help me narrow down to which part is bad.  I have check the fuse on the wall it is fine, the power transformer is fine.  But I am not sure if it is the Magnetron or the heat sensor on the magnetron?  Why is there a bad "electric odor"?  On the manual, it said that it must ensure the RF gasket is install properly, properly sounds too vague, do you guys know how to properly install the magnetron if I have to replace one?  Thanks.

Posted by on

  • 1 more comment 
  • szuchung Jan 19, 2009

    Oh, it also louder than normal, but everything else work, turn table, display, everything works.  Please help soon.  Thanks.

  • szuchung Jan 19, 2009

    is there any risk for anyone to replace the Magnetron?  Will people mess up the gold mesh seal?  If I don't have the microwave meter to do the microwave leak test, should I be doing this Magnetron replacement?  

  • szuchung Jan 19, 2009

    do anyone know what that funky smell when I turn on the microwave is from?  With a faulty thermal sensor cause that?  Or it is cause by a bad Magnetron?  I want to narrow down to what component I need to replace by the cruel that it is giving me.  
    Does anyone have a recommendation of swapping out the whole unit in favor of other brand of Microwave?  Last year, the door switch failed and it cost me 85 to fix that already, and I realize that the the Magnetron cost around 120 dollars alone.  I saw some microwave that is standalone (not build in ones) are real cheap and easier to fix if fail.  What are your thoughts?

×

1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Sergeant:

    An expert that has over 500 points.

    Champion:

    An expert who has answered 200 questions.

  • Expert
  • 338 Answers

There should be 4 screws holding it in.. and one plastic connector with 2 wires in it that are plugged onto the mag..
the seal would be the gold colored mesh around the antenna of the mag. when you take the microwave down you would take the cover off and if looking at it from the back you would look towards the right side and there should be a thermostat there that may have started to burn up. if it is replace it and the wires.. the mag you just unscrew remove and install the new mag.

Posted on Jan 19, 2009

  • Robert Artiaco Jan 19, 2009

    the "radiation" is actually an FM signal that heats the food. it is only present then the microweave is on and running.. so no there is no risk when changing the mag. when you look at that gold mesh seal if it is flat its fine if one side is sticking up then just push it down to level it out.. it seals up when you tighten the mag into place..

  • Robert Artiaco Jan 19, 2009

    the "radiation" is actually an FM signal that heats the food. it is only present then the microweave is on and running.. so no there is no risk when changing the mag. when you look at that gold mesh seal if it is flat its fine if one side is sticking up then just push it down to level it out.. it seals up when you tighten the mag into place..

×

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

2 Answers

All of a sudden our GE Spacemaker Microwave model JVM1549DNWW will not work, what could be wrong?


check power if good internal problem such as -bad mother board -diode-burnt out magnetron etc

Jul 09, 2016 | GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Microwave light and clock work but no heat


Could be one of the three door switches. If the fan turns on when cooking and no heat then the magnetron is bad. Most problems are the switches

Feb 20, 2014 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

My microwave suddenly lost power after I was using it and the range top underneath it to fireroast some eggplant. Did I kill it by overheating from underneath?


If the fan has been running more frequently it means more heat is generated from the range and the microwave must work harder to get rid of the heat, yes it probably contributed to the failure of the device and you must decide if the item is worth repairing. It is better to run it seperately to reduce heat build up if possible.

Mar 18, 2012 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Microwave has sort of burning odor,electrical smell


This caused by a defective magnetron, "heats food" and the odor is a classic symptom of a bad magnetron, cheaper to replace.

Apr 06, 2011 | GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

It is making a bad odor. Still works though!


I would recommend heating up a cup of vinegar in a bowl and letting it sit in the microwave overnight. To get rid of the vinegar smell, scrub the microwave with baking soda. This should work great.

Dec 10, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE microwave will not heat, everything else works, any ideas?


Hi! the problem you have stated indicates that the magnetron its not functioning, check for busted fuse.

Sep 16, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Advantium microwave won't stop.


If it runs when the door is open it's a bad interlock assembly

Aug 31, 2009 | GE Advantium SCA2000B Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave run with a different noise and stopped heating up food


Hi,
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with yourMicrowave Oven....

Microwave Oven Basic Troubleshooting Tips

heatman101
fkj

Mar 18, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave will not heat


Q - The microwave makes a loud "hum or buzz" noise but will not heat up the food?
A - 9 times out of 10 this is usually this is a bad magnetron, the other time is sometimes a bad high voltage diode. See components section.
Q - My microwave is running and sounds like it is working but will not heat up anything.
A - Many thing can do this but, common things are....loose high voltage wire.....poor solder joint on board.....magnetron.....power relay.....
 Q - The microwave display counts down and the inside light is on,  but nothing is heating and the fan is not running.
A - This most commonly is a bad door switch, other possible problems are a faulty relay or solder joint on the power module, but a bad door switch is most common.
Q - The fan in my microwave oven is not running will this hurt my microwave?
A - YES, the fan cools the magnetron and electronics, take the microwave in for service, most fans are not too expensive to replace.
Q - My microwave blows the fuse inside itself as soon as I push the start button.
A - Usually a shorted high voltage capacitor...see components section.



Mar 06, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

3 Answers

GE SpaceMaker Microwave suddenly stops while heating


I had same problem last week. My GE JVM1650 Spacemaker stopped after a few seconds of heating. Owned 16 months, manufactured Jan 2005. It was the magnetron, which was replaced yesterday. The magnetron has a 10-year warranty, but I had to pay $161.00 for labor by a GE technician. The call-out fee was waived at my request. I don't know what that amount would have been, but I can't believe the $161.00 for what was about 1/2 hour labor once diagnosed. Good Luck!

Sep 20, 2006 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

260 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1059 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...