I find the info useful that the fuse or thermostat might be blown. I want to open up the microwave and take a look. Where can I find step by step instruction on how to open up this microwave or any diagrams that will show me how to proceed. Please help.
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Re: small fire in GH4155XP Microwave Oven >
If you or a friend decide to work on it, we have *critical* safety, disassembly, and troubleshooting info (as well as a text file which helps in diagnosing and repairing door switch problems) at our site, which is linked at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
Inside the oven, in the control panel frame behind the door open button is a "mini-manual" - a tech sheet that helps in troubleshooting & locating components.
I would suspect the themrostat / thermal cutout mounted on on above the magnetron.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
I'd test the outlet with a toaster or hair dryer first.
There will be a 20A fuse and two or three cavity thermostats.
should be a "mini-manual" (tech sheet) hidden inside the unit
control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is
very helpful when troubleshooting, testing, and locating
You can find helpful
exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model
Accessing the thermostats for testing and possible replacement will require you to remove the oven from the wall.
so, the installation instructions are very handy, and it's best to have
two people since the microwave can be heavy and awkward.
download Whirlpool owner's manuals and installation
happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your
thoughtful rating of our answer.
IF that is OK, then it's possible an internal fuse has blown. These can be replaced but it should only be attempted if you are confident enough to be able to discharge and ground the main capacitor before working on the device.
F2 on a Whirlpool
microwave means you have a shorted membrane keypad.
If and when an oven
is coming on or doing anything by itself, this is very dangerous and
can result in a fire.
So until it is repaired,
please leave it unplugged or leave the door
open when it's not in use, and please do not leave it running
Please note that FixYa is not currently notifying us Experts when Clarification Requests are answered.
To allow us to help you effectively (at no charge), please post a NEW problem to FixYa, and please
include your brand name and the full model number from the tag in or on
the unit, your symptoms, "F2 fault code".
The Litz Coil or Magnetron Tube has failed. You can look for blown fuses when you remove it but there is usually another reason it blew and will most likely continue to do so if replaced. They are not worth repairing so it may be time to get a new one.
Q - My microwave went dead when I opened the door ( same problem as closed the door ). A - This often is a stuck or faulty door switch and it has blown the interior microwavefuse. Q - My microwave is completely dead. A - House fuse has blown or interior fuse inside the microwave has blown ( usually a part inside the microwave makes this fuse blow ) Sometimes a bad fuse holder inside the microwave cannot hold the fuse tight enough and the fuse will blow as well. Q - My microwave blows the fuse inside itself as soon as I push the start button. A - Usually a shorted high voltage capacitor...see components section. Q - I burnt something in my microwave and now it is dead...help! A - The fuse inside the microwave may have blown, but more commonly the flame/oven thermostat has sensed the over cooked food and the flame/oven/cavity thermostat has opened up - Info on that Q - My microwave seems to shut off every once in a while, what might be wrong? A - Make sure you hear the fan is still operating in your microwave. Next is to make sure the air intake grill on your microwave is not plugged up with air borne dust and dirt. Q - The microwave makes a loud "hum or buzz" noise but will not heat up the food? A - 9 times out of 10 this is usually this is a bad magnetron, the other time is sometimes a bad high voltage diode. See components section.