Question about Whirlpool Ultimate Care II LSQ9564J Top Load Washer
I have the post off and out, need help taking the "colander" inner basin out
Whirlpool top loader washing machine
If you have not taken the exterior washer casing off, the first steps will explain how to accomplish this:
1. Unplug washing machine.
2. Remove console. This can be accomplished in one of two ways depending on which type of console you have.
a. If the console has removable end caps, the caps lift off by prying on the top from the back of the washer. The cap will pull off towards you as you are facing the unit from the front of the washer. There will be a screw under each end cap that you will need to remove.
b. If the console does not have removable end caps, you will need to slide a putty knife under the front corner of each side and push in while lifting up. There is a retaining clip under each side that has to be released.
3. Once the console has been released it will lift up and fold back over the back of the washer in its resting position. Use care not to stress the small plastic hinges that hold it on. They can break easily.
4. Under the console will be two large brass colored clips. Take a large flat blade screwdriver and place it in the groove of the clip on the washer top. With the screwdriver firmly in the groove, push away from you towards the back of the washer. This will release the clips.
5. Disconnect the lid switch connector plug. This is the white colored plug on the washer top under the console.
6. Remove the washer casing. Open the lid of the washer. Using one hand, grip under the front rim of the washer opening. Do not grab the wash tub, just the casing. Tilt the washer case from the back first towards you, slide forward slightly, and then lift up. The entire case comes off exposing the wash tub and components.
Once the casing is removed, you should have full access the the washer interior components. Since you have mentioned you taken the "internal post" off (I'm assuming this is your agitator), I will spare the steps in involved in accomplishing that task.
Next, follow these series of steps:
1. Remove the tub ring. This is the cylindrical donut shaped ring attached to the top of the wash tub. This ring needs to be removed in order to accommodate the removal of the inner spin basket. The tub ring comes off by placing a screwdriver under the series of the tabs that hold it in place and GENTLY prying them up until they release. Be careful not to break off the tabs, or crack the wash tub.
2. Remove the spanner nut that is under the agitator. This holds the inner spin basket to center post.
3. With the spanner nut removed, the spin basket should lift straight up and out. Sometimes the basket will stick to the center-post and may required some "coaxing" to get it free. This can be accomplished by grabbing the rim of the spin basket and prying up on one side, then the other, in an attempt to rock the basket side to side.
Searspartsdirect.com has excellent exploded view diagrams that you can use as a reference. Simply type in your model number and look under the "Agitator, Basket and Tub" heading. The tub ring gasket, I mention below, is listed as item 6. Appliancepartspros.com also has these same drawings.
Some things to consider:
If you remove the tub ring, it is recommended that you replace the seal on the ring before reassembly. Once the tub seal is broken, it can leak if the seal is not replaced.
When reinstalling the exterior cabinet, follow these steps:
1. Re-install washer case. With the lid of the washer open, place grasp case under front rim and place it on the washer frame. While looking down through the washer lid opening, make sure the front lip of the case is placed UNDER the washer frame and rocked back onto the frame to ensure that the small cleats on the frame fit into the slotted grooves on the washer case base. If you do not get the case seated correctly it will rattle and vibrate while the washer is in operation.
2. Make the back of the washer fits into the washer casing on each side and reinsert the brass clips. Place the clip into the slot on the back of the washer first, and then forcefully push it into the opening on top of the washer. It will snap back into to place.
3. REINSTALL LID SWITCH CONNECTOR. It is easy to forget. If you do not reconnect it, the washer will not work correctly.
4. Reinstall console.
If you have questions, or need further assistance, please let me know. I hope this helps you.
PS What is the reason for removing the spin basket? Anything else I can help you with?
Posted on Jan 17, 2009
Had a terrible mildew problem after 7 years of use. Found your instructions and they enabled me to remove case from my whirlpool machine and clean the outside of the tub and the water tank (? correct term). I used a long skinny spatula to scrape off the major crud at the top of the tank. Sprayed the tank wall and the outside of the drum with Aqua EZ cartridge and pool filter cleaner (from Lowe's- great on fiberglass boats also) and then used a long skinny brush that is used to clean the fins on a refrigerator to scrub the whole mess clean. Rinsed with garden hose from outside. The whole mess is clean, spotless, and smells like lemons. I wanted to thank you for taking the time to post the reply to the original poster. More importantly, my wife wants to thank you for taking the time and trouble to help others. We all know, when mamma's happy.... Again, many thanks!
Posted on Jun 27, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 11, 2013 | Washing Machines
Jan 07, 2013 | Whirlpool Duet GHW9150P Front Load Washer
Nov 20, 2012 | Kenmore 3.2 cu. ft. Plus Top Load Washer
Feb 08, 2011 | Roper RTW4300SQ Top Load Washer
May 15, 2010 | Whirlpool Ultimate Care II LSQ9549L Top...
Mar 03, 2010 | Washing Machines
Nov 05, 2009 | Cars & Trucks
Mar 13, 2009 | Whirlpool LTG5243D Top Load Stacked Washer...
Jan 26, 2009 | Whirlpool LXR9445JT Top Load Washer
Jul 25, 2008 | Whirlpool Ultimate Care II LSQ9549L Top...
25,057 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: