HP mini notebook (Linux) won't login due to GDM/full memory prblm
When logging in the following message shows up; GDM could not write to your authorization file. This could mean that you are out of disk space or that your home directory could not be opened for writing. In any case, it is not possible to log in. Please contact yoru system adminstrator.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
If you forgot your password and the answer to your security question then no, you won't be able to login with that account. There are free tools on the internet that you can use to reset your password with. Search for linux based windows password recovery tool and you'll get a long list of them. Depending on the version of windows there is a boot option that at the windows loading screen you can press F8 to login as the system administrator which you can reset the password for your user account from there.
It can be a due to a faulty memory , a hard disc or if the OS comes up and then the PC hangs , it can be due to a virus. This can cause havoc to your PC and corrupt files that are needed to work the PC. If so the OS- operating software - must be reloaded.
You can remove or change the Windows User oradministrator's password. You need access to a computer with Internet access todownload the Hiren's Boot CD and burn it onto a CD.
Then insert this CD into the laptop/computer and boot upthe laptop/computer with the Hiren's CD and follow the instructions.
There are very useful utilities CD and it a Linux boot CDwhich contains quite a lot of Utility programs including a password removalprogram.
Click on one of these links todownload HIREN'S BOOTCD :-
Use the image from Ophcrack to load onto the USB: http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/download.php Choose the XP LIVE CD Option
1. Download the YUMI exe to your desktop
2.. Save the LIVE CD of Ophcrack to your desktop.
3. Plug in the usb stick you want to use (make sure it is at least 500MB. 1GB if possible)
4. Run the YUMI EXE and follow the instructions. Make sure to choose the USB Drive Letter ("D:" E:" etc)
5. Choose the Ophcrack ISO for the image.
6. Install to USB
7. Click Finished and exit the program and close any other open programs.
8. Restart the computer. Leave USB plugged in.
9. As soon as the computer restarts, tap the F10 button to enter the BIOS Menu.
10. Scroll to the Boot / Advanced Menu and change the boot order to USB first, HDD second.
11. Save and exit BIOS. Computer will restart.
12. Once booted up the computer will bypass the HDD and boot into the USB
13. elect Ophcrack from the list and hit Enter.
14. Follow the on-screen instructions to have Ophcrack force the password.
(If you're using Linux then use the Linux LIVE CD Image instead of XP)
I assume this is linux? if your home directory can not be found you may need to format that particular partition with gparted, if you want to try something prior you can try and use kanotics or mepis live cd and try and transfer the data to a different device or back it up online.
In the grub loading add the following entry at the end
and you`ll have only have your shell mode. You`ll not be asked to login. Once the cshell pprompt appears type the following passwd root. enter the new password that you want and retype it. Nad after that type init 6
create a usb boot pen with your orduring boot time press F8 and choose security mode, reach to your hard disk and delete all trash you know you don't need, then shutdown the system and restart usual way.
press cortl+alt+del whneyou have the log on screen
click on option button at eh lower right corner, that will bring you;
change the domain to local computer,
login name =admin or administrator,
password= blank, or Admin or Administrator