Question about GE JVM2050 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Unusual noise and electrical smell - GE JVM2050 Microwave Oven

Posted by on

Ad

1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Prodigy:

    An expert who has answered 500 questions.

  • Expert
  • 547 Answers

If it's a burning odor, and there's a buzz, or a hum that's louder than normal, failure of the the high voltage transformer or high voltage rectifier would be the most likely cause. A failed rectifier usually looks like it's been hot - may have small bubbles on the surface, or may be discolored. A transformer will emit smoke when 120 volts is applied to the primary. Keep in mind that these things run on 4000 volts, or more. You can easily be electrocuted poking around inside when the unit is running (the capacitor may stay charged with 4000 v for weeks or months even when the unit is off). if you don't have a working knowledge of electronics / electricity, it's best to find someone who does. If the rectifier is bad, make sure you discharge the capacitor with a screwdriver from terminal to terminal, and from each terminal to ground. It isn't pleasant having a 4000 volt jolt of electricity travel through your finger. I know from experience. You finger will light up nicely for a second, though. It's kind of neat, but painful!

If you need further help, I’m available over the phone at https://www.6ya.com/expert/david_29ad5d1dd86564b0

Posted on Apr 23, 2013

Ad

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE:

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Ad

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Whirlpool over microwave combo has burning smell in microwave


Probably fragments of food burning on the waveguide cover.

Jul 31, 2017 | Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

Our microwave has stopped working for the second time in two years. When you try to heat something, it hums but not quite like it is heating. There is also a funny smell.


SAFTY FIRST

UN -PLUG IT,,,,, THAT "FUNNY SMELL" SOUNDS LIKE IT IS SHORTING OUT
PERHAPS THE MEGATRON HAS GONE BAD, THE MEGATRON IS THE
HEART OF ANY MICROWAVE
AS A EX- FIREMAN, I KNOW FROM FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE THAT
"A FUNNY SMELL " OR " UN-USUALL SMELL COMING FROM AN ELECTRICAL
ITEM IS A SIGN OF DANGER

Feb 05, 2011 | GE Profile Spacemaker JVM1871 Microwave...

1 Answer

After about 2 weeks of use, the microwave began to make a horrible buzzing noise from the "box" in the upper right hand corner on the back. It also smelled horrible. It then proceeded to stop working...


Two weeks? This is a warranty problem. The buzzing noise was probably either from high-voltage arcing or an overloaded transformer trying to drive a shorted component. The smell is from something electrical getting fried. Remember it; the next time you smell it, you'll know to pull the plug.

Oct 12, 2010 | Sunbeam SMW777 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

It runs, makes a noise with vibration, but does not hear


    If you hear an unusual buzzing noise, the magnetron (the component that actually generates the microwaves) or other electronic module may be broken. This is not easily fixed; contact a service technician.
hope this helps you.please do rate me on this issue

Dec 30, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

All functions work, however does not heat. Fuse is okay and voltage is 120 V. When checking voltage at MGT lead while microwave is on high power shows only 4 volts. Can smell electrical burnt smell,...


Please - NEVER try to measure the high voltage in a microwave unless you have experience and a proper high voltage probe.

The voltage reaches 4000V and can be instantly lethal!

It sounds like you have a bad high voltage transformer (a fact which may have saved your life) but we would need the model number to be able to help you.

So please post a NEW question, and please include your brand name and the full model number from the tag in or on the unit, as well as the answers to these questions:

- When you try to cook, do the inside light, turntable, and internal cooling fan all come on?

- Is it making any unusual noise?

- Is it louder or quieter than usual?

We have a sound clip of what a microwave should sound like when the cooling fan and high voltage section are working.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Oct 11, 2009 | GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Last night my wife accidently turned on the microwave with nothing inside. It probably ran for 15-20 minutes before I noticed a burning smell (burnt wiring) After opening the door I noticed the unit had no...


well I can tell you roughly what happened. You overheated the oven, as there was nothing inside to absorb the radiation. So the sensor shout off the power ( safety switch) It returns when the oven reduces in temperature. The burning may be due to internal damage to some of the insulation compound. It takes foreverf to get rid of smells from microwaves no matter what you use including vanill or some other anti stink medicine. The unit is probably OK but overtime will now begin to deteriorate and may even leak radiation to greater extent.

Dump it is my suggestion, but make sure it is damaged sufficiently to prevent dump rats from salvaging it and using it.

The unusual noise ( almost missed that) is damage to the rotation motor bearins that have been expanded and are now out of alignment.

Too risky!

Jul 31, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

My GE spacemaker microwave won't heat and makes an unusual sound


I have the same problem on my oven- model JVM1640WB and called an appliance repairman who is honest and reliable (I've used him before). He said the problem is with the electrode, to fix it is roughly $300. He recommended buying a new microwave rather than fixing it.

Nov 17, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE microwave oven groans then turns off


Can you give more details, such as when and how it "turns off" as well as the brand and model?

Happy to help.

Oct 22, 2007 | Microwave Ovens

Not finding what you are looking for?
GE JVM2050 Microwave Oven Logo

84 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9156 Answers

vince

Level 3 Expert

1234 Answers

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1187 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...