I have the same problem with my new magic cheff over the stove microwave oven. I call magic chef and they gave me the 800 number for the service center (1-800-775-0202). When I described the problem they told me to just put a plate under the popper and this wouldn't happen anymore. I haven't tried it yet but here's hoping.
a 6ya Repairman can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Repairman (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
If the microwave is above the stove, the heat sensors in the microwave may turn on fans to cool it even though the microwave itself is not running. It tries to save its life. It should turn off when the stove is not heating it.
You would have to remove the top cover and check to see if the main fuse is blown. Usually a 20 amp slo-blow. There are thermal cut out devices, they will reset when the unit cools, so plug it in the next day and see if the clock and power is back up. good luck, Dale
You are running the risk of damaging the Magnatron by doing this.
Check the packets you are using, you will have to reduce your power output.
This is because microwaves act by being absorbed by water. There is very little in popcorn and in fat. Once this has been evaporated, the microwave energy builds up (as it is still being produced - but not absorbed), and ends up cooking the magnatron itself.
I have seen countless posts on here after cooking popcorn!
More fun on the hob anyway - and cheaper to buy in bulk!
Is not normal for a microwave to shutdown after 4 minutes of operation.
From the info you are providing, It looks like the magnetron might be overheating causing the thermal fuse to shut it down until it cools down. There may also be a loose connection in one of the switches or a cold solder joint in the low voltage power supply.
I would suggest to check and make sure that the fans are functional, If always did; it could be that there isn't much air circulation where the appliance was installed.
We had the same problem with our brand new Magic Chef. Before going through the trouble of taking it back I called Home Depot. After talking to a Home Depot Rep I am told that the overheat sensor is under the glass plate directly beneath the popcorn bag. Popcorn gets very hot and the heat of the popcorn causes the sensor to shut the machine down. I would imagine this would be the same for a baked potato.
Very poor design.
I was told to put a microwave safe plate down and put the popcorn bag on it. This should help to reduce the heat and not trip the sensor.
A safety sensor is great, but not if it keeps tripping the machine and shutting down!