Question about GE JEM31 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Replace burned inside ceiling of microwave?

I have a GE microwave, JEM31, about 5 years old. I put a rather tall bottle of maple syrup in to heat it up (removed the cap). It caught fire, as did the plastic inside ceiling of the microwave. Now the burned part of the ceiling hangs down like an upside-down volcano.

Can I use the microwave?

Can I replace the burned ceilint?

I'd prefer not to replace it, since it is placed in a cabinet just made to fit it and I'm not sure the new micros will fit it. Thanks!

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Master
  • 716 Answers

Do Not Use The Microwave. If You Need Parts Try Finding A Part Number And Use Ge To Order Parts. Click Here To Order Parts

Posted on Jan 15, 2009

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

I want to replace an old microwave from 1988: GE Model# JVM130001. What microwave will fit in that space?


Laura, most any over the range microwave should fit that space. It may hang a little below your height but that should not be a problem.

Jul 29, 2014 | GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

G.E Microwave model JVM1860 Burning Smell


you must open inside see the diagram, and see 1) burn cable 2) fuse 3) diode 4) capacitor 5) magnetron 6) bulb etc.
God bless you
bd27851d-c34e-4b35-ae17-2f1cc28c4a85.gif

Nov 22, 2013 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Model JVM1630WB004. KW 1.58. 10 years old. No problems till now. Just stopped heating. Some burnt smell. Vented to outside thru duct. Everything clean. Is it fried? Also, cu. is not listed. What...


Check the door safety interlock safety switches for proper operation. If the switches are faulty, you can replace them. If you smelled something burning and it wasn't dinner, it could be the capacitor. You should have this dangerous electrical device serviced by a pro. The capacitor potentially stores up to 25,000 volts and may be lethal. The Cap is the silver can looking device inside with two or three wires on it. Expect to pay up to $150.00 for repair. Your machine is 10 years old, you may just want to replace it.

Apr 16, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

We have a GE JVM1540 space saver microwave. It is less than a year old. Will not heat and immediately starts smelling like burning plastic. Any ideas as to what is causing that?


CHECK THE MICROWAVE MANUAL LOOK FOR FACTORY WARRANTY ,MUST BE A BAD COMPONENT ,IF YOU MICROWAVE IS UNDER 1 YEAR WARRANTY THE FACTORY WILL REPAIR IT AT NOT COST TO YOU..CONTACT GE FACTORY.

Feb 18, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1540 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

I have a GE Spacemaker and it is about 9 yrs. old. Sometines it heats; other times it doesn't. I change settings and sometimes that works. Is this something that can be repaired or is this a sign I need...


When the microwave is not heating, that means the magnetron is not working. This is what provides the heat to the microwave. I do believe the magnetron has a 10 year warranty.

If you wish to replace it, here is how:

  1. Unplug Microwave at least few hours before
  2. Remove Microwave from above oven range by somebody holding Microwave from ground unscrew the screws from cabinet
  3. Remove top cover of Microwave
  4. Make sure to keep screws correctly in a place you remember what goes where
  5. Make sure capacitor is discharged, GE manual inside Microwave says capacitor will discharge within 30 seconds once it is off. As a precaution check the voltage in capacitor to make sure there is no electricity
  6. Remove other panels around magnetron part
  7. You need to remove lot of connecting wires, should be careful to note down what goes where
  8. If possible take digital photos to refer back when you put everything back together
  9. You may need to remove transformer to easily remove and replace Magnetron. If you can't remove Magnetron easily then remove bottom panel of the Microwave and remove transformer
  10. Now it should be easy to remove magnetron
  11. Replace new magnetron and screw it. We had to put one outside part from old magnetron to new one because new one was missing that. Check to make sure both old and new one are exactly the same
  12. Make sure put all wires properly back
  13. Now put transformer back and screw it
  14. Put capacitor panel in place and screw it
  15. This might be a good time to test the Microwave to make sure it works fine now
  16. Now cover the top panels and start to screw everything
  17. Once everything assembled put the Microwave back above range put screws from top
b7c8eaf.jpg
94e4130.jpg

Sep 02, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Burned inside of microwave


This is the the stirrer cover, and it provides important protection for the magnetron and must be replaced.

You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Jan 15, 2009 | GE JEM31 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE Spacemaker appears to be sparking inside/top


1.Needs to remove that disk and clean the grease under it.
2. With sand paper clean dark burn spots.
3. Apply touch paint on open metal spots.
4.Put everything back.

Nov 30, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

2 Answers

GE Spacesaver JVM 1651 Not heating, making burning smell


Fisrt, check to be sure your missing cat it not inside the unit. IF the interior is dirty (splatters, grease, etc.) , it may inhibit the unit from working properly.

:-)

Nov 22, 2008 | GE JVM1651 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Takes much longer now to heat things


I think you have two separate problems.

Taking a long time to heat is almost always a failing magnetron.

The cover on the side is the waveguide cover. If your waveguide cover is burned or broken, it will need to be replaced.

It protects the waveguide and magnetron from grewase and food particles, which can cause arcing and damage.

Hopefully your oven is just under the one-year mark and GE will fix it free under warranty.

Otherwise, they will replace the magnetron at no part cost, but labor will be your responsibility.

GE Customer Service is at http://www.geappliances.com/service_and_support/contact/

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

May 10, 2008 | GE Advantium 120 Convection/Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
GE JEM31 Microwave Oven Logo

Related Topics:

178 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1059 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...