I have a GE microwave, JEM 31, about 5 years old. I put a plastic bottle of maple syrup into it (removed the cap) to heat up, but it caught fire as did the inside plastic roof of the microwave. Now the plastic inside comes down like an upside-down volcano, burned. Can I still use the microwave? Can I replace the burned part?
I'd prefer not to get a new one because it is inset into a cabinet made just for its small size and I don't think the new models would fit.
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones). click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Good luck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Sounds like you have a bad transformer. Magnatron should check less than 1 ohm (with wires unplugged). Diode should check resistance one way and open the other. Must have a proper diode checker for this. Check resistance on the capacitor (make sure it is discharged first). Resistance should come up then back to open, reverse and same thing if cap. is good. Check resistance on transformer windings.
When the microwave is not heating, that means the magnetron is not working. This is what provides the heat to the microwave. I do believe the magnetron has a 10 year warranty.
If you wish to replace it, here is how:
Unplug Microwave at least few hours before
Remove Microwave from above oven range by somebody holding Microwave from ground unscrew the screws from cabinet
Remove top cover of Microwave
Make sure to keep screws correctly in a place you remember what goes where
sure capacitor is discharged, GE manual inside Microwave says capacitor
will discharge within 30 seconds once it is off. As a precaution check
the voltage in capacitor to make sure there is no electricity
Remove other panels around magnetron part
You need to remove lot of connecting wires, should be careful to note down what goes where
If possible take digital photos to refer back when you put everything back together
may need to remove transformer to easily remove and replace Magnetron.
If you can't remove Magnetron easily then remove bottom panel of the
Microwave and remove transformer
Now it should be easy to remove magnetron
new magnetron and screw it. We had to put one outside part from old
magnetron to new one because new one was missing that. Check to make
sure both old and new one are exactly the same
Make sure put all wires properly back
Now put transformer back and screw it
Put capacitor panel in place and screw it
This might be a good time to test the Microwave to make sure it works fine now
Now cover the top panels and start to screw everything
Once everything assembled put the Microwave back above range put screws from top
Hi best way is to remove the outer case and cut the back of the clip off, alternativly you can just lift the old clip from inside the oven cooking cavity with a flat knife or spreader untill the plastic clip on the rearside breaks off, it'l just fall down and sit in a void in the bottom of the oven and wont cause any damage. The new clip is just installed using an upward motion whilst pushing inward untill it clicks into place.
Hope this helps
Our JE1860SH was also sparking after a few seconds. The GE tech pulled the upper round disk and found the problem. The plastic was burned and the round metal which is behind the plastic dome was arching with the frame. Lasted seven years expected more especially from a GE product. So my suggestion is to remove the dome and check it out.
I would take out the grills and boil them, but cannot see how to do that.
Also, the GE stove top (Model JGSP44BEY) has so much baked on crud that I may never use it. I poured a whole bottle of easy off onto it and still cannot loosen it all. Same goes for the removable parts from the burners.
Chances are you have a magnetron that's failing.
GE had a rash of "underperforming" magnetrons on these units.
They replace the magnetron, stirrer and high-voltage diode at no charge for parts as long as a GE-authorized service center does the work.
Sometimes the unit gets run too long in a failing state and the waveguide and chassis of the oven get damaged. The bulletin shows you where tyo check.
To see if yours is covered, see this bulletin: http://www.microwavedisplay.com/ge_mw_mag_kit_bulletin.pdf
Otherwise, you need to contact GE Customer Relations at 1-800-386-1215 as soon as possible and tell them your problem and they will put you in touch with a local authorized servicer.