Clock works, timer works-but turntable and other functions stoppe
I was cooking a bag of veggies and all of a sudden the "hum", and the turn table stopped. but the timer was still counting down. we opened the door, the light worked and all the other functions seem to work just fine. on other occations while cooking, different types of food, there would be a "flast-buzzing" that would have you think there was metal in the food. it also tripped the breaker when we tried to restart the microwave on the first time after this occurance.
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 500 times.
Re: clock works, timer works-but turntable and other...
You have a bad control board . this board had 2 relays one for the magntron and one for the turntable and the cooling fan together . when the turntable goes out so does the cooling fanm and the microwave overheats ...... there is no good fix for this , the control will cost more than a new microwave . please do not use with this happening . i have see them start on fire when it overheats . please be carefull good luck
a 6ya Repairman can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Repairman (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
I'll presume you can program it ( set the length of time you want to cook) Does the timer count down? Does the turntable ( if you have one) turn? If everything else seems to work properly and it just doesn't cook more then likely the magnetron is bad
Hi, I had the same problem with my Emerson microwave. As I rent out the house, and the turntable stopped working while I was away, my rental agent bought another Emerson microwave. On my return I tried using the new (brown) plastic turntable on the old microwave, and found it worked perfectly. Maybe it would be possible for you to order a replacement turntable part. Hope this helps. Good luck, Rosalind
Sounds like you just fried your magnetron. Normally when they go bad, they make a very loud noise like what you described. The smell concerns me because you may have ruined the waveguide as well. If the magnetron burns through the protective painted surface of the waveguide, the waveguide is ruined. In most microwave ovens this means replacing the entire unit because the waveguide is not replaceable. Putting a new magnetron in a damaged waveguide will result in the same arcing and eventual failure. In addition to the magnetron, the following components are part of the same high voltage network:
Magnetron Thermal Cut-Out
Any one of these components could have also been damaged. I DO NOT recommend taking any voltage measurements inside the HV network. Potentials of over 4000 volts can be reached and make it very dangerous for the do-it-yourselfer. Taking resistance readings with the unit unplugged is strongly encouraged. If you decide to pursue a repair, inspect the magnetron tip and inside of the waveguide first. If the magnetron is melted and/or there are burn marks inside the waveguide, a new microwave may be a in order. This actually may be a better option than an expensive repair. I hope you find this advice helpful.