Question about GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Yam caught fire in microwave

Was cooking yam forgot to check on it - burnt black and on fire inside microwave - now control panel does not work - do i need a new Microwave?

Posted by on

  • david_w_phil Feb 25, 2009

    Potato caught fire in GE Spacemaker Microwave JVM2070SH01 - - I put the potato in, put in on SENSOR mode - and turned to answer an e-mail... I hear a crackling sound a few minutes later to find flames coming out...

    After I extinguished the flames - I found the potato was nearly incinerated!

    It would have been funny if 1)it didn't ruin my microwave; 2) it didn't ruin my dinner and, 3) it didn't create a real risk to my home.


×

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Master
  • 903 Answers

If you have given the microwave enough time to cool off and it still does not work then I would suggest that you would need a new one, as the circuit board may be fried that connects the control panel.

Posted on Jan 15, 2009

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Over cooked noodles ,food caught fire, no visible external damage,some smoke black, but control panel dead completely.What can i do ?


Probably the main fuse has blown. If there is damage to the inside of the microwave I would seek professional service to ensure that seals are still working.

May 08, 2015 | Goldstar Microwave Ovens

Tip

DANGER WARNING! Potential Hazard if your microwave was working and now doesn't...


If you have this model microwave and it was working fine, then one day it stopped heating items placed inside there are a handful of different issues that could be the problem. In my case it was intermittent, over a period of a few days it would sometimes work (heat) and sometimes not. NO MATTER if this is what your's is doing or if it stopped heating all together. If you decide to let it dry out, or not use it for a while to see if it was a one time occurrence, or whatever the reason, the first time you put something in and probably for the next 10 times at least (this assumes it starts to work again), make sure you are right there with it while it is cooking. Don't assume you can put something in, go do something and come back when the timer is beeping. There is a chance (as this happened to me) that your food inside will CATCH FIRE! Normal food item placed inside, no metal, nothing different than the numerous times before when this had been cooked but when we smelled smoke we came running. Fortunately it started and finished inside the microwave but that's not a guarantee, it could spread. Play it safe. Never had a problem like this before and never heard of a microwave cooking something until it caught on fire (especially since the time entered for the cook was 30 seconds) but it did.

on Sep 23, 2013 | GE JVM1850SMSS Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Put a potato in microwave it caught on fire dish broke no power to the microwave...did I kill it for good or is there a reset button on it...the microwave in build into my cabinets back of microwave is...


When cooking a potato in the microwave Without puncturing it with a fork... it definitively EXPLODS braking the CAROUSSEL PLATEAU and probably damaging some delicate electronics inside, (you have to pearce the potato with a fork to let steem out when cooking) if you are lucky it could be just a blown fuse inside, have it checked by a proffessional (there is normally no reset for a microwave oven exception maiby for the control panel)

Good luck!

Jan 14, 2011 | GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

My Frigidaire Microwave caught on fire


The owner's manual warns of the dangers of overcooking potatoes and similar foods and not to ever leave the oven unattended while it's running.

If for some reason you don't have your owner's manual, you can download Frigidaire owner's manuals and installation instructions here.

Are you looking for help to get your microwave working again?

Chances are it's just an opened flame sensor (cavity thermostat / thermal cutout / T.C.O.). Its job is to cut power if there's a fire.

You can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number from the tag on the oven here.

Accessing some components for testing and possible replacement (like the oven cavity thermostat) will require you to remove the oven from the wall.

If so, the installation instructions are very handy, and it's best to have two people since the microwave can be heavy and awkward.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Jun 07, 2009 | Frigidaire FMT116E1B Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave caught on fire.


I agree! That is an extreme hazard. Possibly due to over voltage of the power supply or faulty relay systems. Emerson is usually a cheaper brand anyhow. I would get the money back instead of exchange.

May 22, 2009 | Emerson Black Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Potato caught fire during cooking. Microwave has


Hello, inside most microwaves, there is a thermal fuse, that if something in the cooking cavity is on fire, it will melt the thermal fuse, if it gets hot enough, thus breaking the power to the unit shutting it off. This sounds like what has happened to yours, simply replacing it will correct the problem. It is usually located near a cavity exhaust point. If you aren't comfortable doing this, as it requires removing the outer cover, while unplugged, and locating/replacing it, take it to a appliance service co. This will of course cost more, if you do it yourself, make sure you provide all of your make/model/serial/anything else, that will identify your unit, and call/go online to a parts retailer, and you should be able to get it done fairly cheap.

Hope this helps, and thank you.

Mar 01, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

My daughter heated a rag in the micro and it caught on fire.


If everything is on, like your display lights and if the bulb lights inside the microwave when you close the door and press start, then you probably damaged the magnetron. The magnetron is the part that emits those high frequency microwaves and cooks the food from the inside out. I do not think there are any other damaged components. The reason I say that is that the magnetron through that little cavity or grille you see on the inside of your microwave was the closest thing to the fire and was damaged directly. By unplugging everything you can take the cover off. The magnetron sits behind the control panel but on top. It has cooling fins and two wires that plug into it. It is possible that one or both of those wires got burned. You will just have to look at it and visually inspect the magnetron. To take it off by unscrewing 4 screws and unplugging the two wire terminals that go to it. If there are no burnt wires going to it then your magnetron was damaged providing as I said above that everything else is normal it just doesn't heat anymore. You can get another one at a local electronics supply house or from www.mwoparts.com. Good luck.

Jan 24, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

I placed yam to microwave - left room and came back to see yam on fire (black as coal) and now my microwave control panel does not work - the yam was on fire before I put it out. filled the house with...


my son did the same with a conker /horsechestnut micowave full of soot kitchen full of smoke microwave was no more / the soot got in to everything just had to replace it

Jan 14, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Decor DMO2420 Microwave caught on fire


Please write back with more details if this reply doesn't solve it.

(Such as, Was the fire inside the cooking cavity? Has the inside been cleaned since?)

There is a cavity temperature fuse located under the outer cover, on the top left side of the cooking cavity. It is rated at 150 degrees centigrade.

If there is a fire, that will open, killing all power to the unit.

A replacement can be found at a local appliance parts company.

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.


3832738.jpg

May 29, 2008 | Microwave Ovens

Not finding what you are looking for?
GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven Logo

Related Topics:

200 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1059 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...