Question about KitchenAid 32 in. KECC502 Electric Cooktop
I HAVE ONE ELEMENT THAT STAYS ON EVEN WHEN THE KNOB IS TURNED OFF, I MUST SHUT OFF THE COOKTOP AT THE FUSEBOX, I HAVE A KITCHENAID GLASS COOKTOP
Sounds like that specific element has shorted to ground inside it's sheath. You'll probably find the element does not get as hot as it normally would.
A fuse will not blow, or breaker not throw, because of the point in the element that the element has grounded.
Elements are available from a number of resources.
A way to test if the element is shorted to ground:
Tools needed -
1)Disconnect power from the appliance
2) Remove the element (Sometimes they are plugged in, sometimes the wires screw onto the ends of the element.
3) Set the Ohmeter to Rx1000 or more.
4) Measure the resistance between the outside metal sheath, and either of the two power connection points on either end of the element. Under any condition, you should not get a reading. If you do, the element is bad, and you need to get a new one. They are not repairable.
5) Re-install in the reverse removed.
6) Check all connections are clean and all is re-assembled as you originally found it.
7) Turn on power and check if element comes on.
It is unlikely the problem is with the control, but it is a possibility. Give me more info about the cook-top (make, model) so I can investigate further.
Posted on Jan 14, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 07, 2011 | Maytag MGC5430 Gas Cooktop
Jun 11, 2009 | Jenn-Air JED8230 Electric Cooktop
Apr 02, 2009 | Jenn-Air JED8430 Electric Cooktop
Feb 22, 2009 | Whirlpool GJC3034 Electric Cooktop
Feb 18, 2009 | Viking 31 in. VECU105 Electric Cooktop
Nov 20, 2008 | Frigidaire Cooktops
273 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!