Question about Sharp R-55TS Microwave Oven
I believe I have a compound problem with my microwave. Several months ago, after absentmindedly operating a grill off the same circuit as the microwave, the microwave oven light no longer works and the display automatically returns to 95.00, rather than 0.00 when finished. All other functions worked as normal. Several days ago, the microwave stopped working but the cooling fan, turntable, grill, bake and all other preprogrammed operations still are functioning normally. This seems to be more than just a door switch issue. Is this worth fixing or should I get used to the idea of a large toaster oven with no microwave features on my counter? Thanks.
First of all, how old is the oven? It sounds like 3 separate problems, but I would doubt that any were caused by using the grill on the same circuit. Most often, that will just blow the breaker. Importantly, have you had any other electrical items fail in the last few months? Have you had an unusual number of light bulbs blow in the home, or have they blown much sooner than you'd expect? A "yes" to these questions could indicate a fault in your house wiring which must be quickly addressed by the power company or an electrician. Barring those complications, here are my thoughts: I would say the oven light just failed. It could have had its life shortened or ended due to door slamming. For the display to return to 95.00 instead of 00.00, I would suspect that the control dial is worn, damaged or contaminated by grease, dirt, etc., causing a slight shorting effect. 95.00 is the maximum cooking time - the extreme top setting of the dial. This kind of controller problem could also be caused by grease or moisture on the control circuit board. This is most likely to build up when boiling on the stove without first turning on the hood fan (a must) or if the hood fan has a clogged filter or restricted air flow in the duct work. It could also be due to spraying cleaners directly on the control panel / keypad instead of using a slightly damp cloth. Lastly, the lack of cooking operation is most often caused by (yes, door switches or door switch mount trouble) a loose connection at the magnetron, or a bad magnetron. First to address would be the cooking problem, and the first thing I would check is door switches and switch mounts. The lamp would just need to be replaced, but in most newer models, you have to remove the outer cover, which means taking it down from the wall. Safety dictates that this is a two-person job, and you might need to have your original installation instructions on hand to do it. If you or a friend decide to work on it, we have *critical* safety, disassembly, and troubleshooting info (as well as a text file which helps in diagnosing and repairing door switch problems) at our site, which is linked at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk If you need to order any parts (other than a light bulb, which should be available at the grocery store) I would recommend Tritronics at http://www.wehaveparts.com If you have a problem with the controller, that would have to be professionally repaired. We do that for customers nationwide for $39.95 in most cases.
Posted on Jun 17, 2007
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
May 19, 2012 | Panasonic Microwave Ovens
Sep 18, 2011 | GE JVM1850 1000 Watts Microwave Oven
Jul 16, 2011 | Microwave Ovens
Feb 06, 2011 | Whirlpool MH1150XMQ Microwave Oven
Jun 03, 2010 | Panasonic NN-S254BF Microwave Oven
May 06, 2010 | Maytag Over-the-Range Microwave
Nov 08, 2009 | GE JVM1630 Microwave Oven
Feb 15, 2008 | Microwave Ovens
93 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!