Question about Microwave Ovens
While I'm using my Defy Microwave water comes out the back and accumulates underneath it on the counter - Manufacturer tells me it's normal. Is it?
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: Loss of power during use
You didn't mention your brand or model, but I'd bet it's a GE/Hotpoint or other Samsung-made oven.
This problem is almost always due to a defective or loose magnetron causing electrical interference and disruption in the control circuit board.
Details covering some previous models are in GE's bulletin here. Even if your model is not on the list, the same problem can occur.
If your magnetron was recently replaced, it may have loose mounting nuts or bolts or maybe the wire mesh RF gasket was not installed or got pinched.
NOISY MAGNETRON TEST (c) 2009 William E. Miller email@example.com (permission granted by poster-author to FixYa to keep this document on their site intact)
One way to test it is to do the following:
1. Unplug the microwave or turn off its breaker.
2. Open the door, then detach the control panel as shown in the video at http://www.microwavedisplay.com and swing it down, but without disconnecting the wires. )If you have any trouble getting the grille off once the screws are removed, slide the hood vent grille to the left about 1/4", then then pull it forward. On some models there are L-shaped clips that fit into a slot to hold bottom of the vent.)
3. Plug the microwave back in.
4. Make sure neither you nor anyone else reaches in behind the control panel. There will exposed high-voltage connections.
5. Put a few cups worth of water in a microwave-safe container and place it inside the microwave.
6. Shut the door.
7. Run the microwave for about 1 minute or so on full power. (Time Cook > 1 > 0 > 0 > Start, e.g.)
8. If it does not fail, try it several more times.
9. When the water boils, change the water and try again.
NOTE: If your model does not have a door handle, you will need to unplug the oven and reattach the control panel to be able to open the door.
If it still does not fail, I would recommend that you put it all back together and keep using it until it fails more consistently, then repeat this test.
While a microwave should never be left running unattended under any circumstances (as your owner's manual will tell you) it's even more important when one is exhibiting a failure or any odd behavior. So play it safe and stay with it while it's running!
If you or someone you know want to replace the magnetron yourself, you will need to remove the oven from the wall.
If so, the installation instructions are very handy, and it's best to have two people since the microwave can be heavy and awkward.
You can download GE owner's manuals and installation instructions here.
There should be a "mini-manual" (tech sheet) hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting, testing, and locating components.
At our Web site, we have a video available showing how to remove a typical over the range control panel assembly in under 5 minutes.
You can find links to helpful exploded view diagrams and part ordering help here. I'd recommend that your bookmark this link to your favorites.
If it's within the magnetron portion of the warranty (usually 5-9 years) but out of the original full warranty (usually 1 year), then your manufacturer will cover the part cost, but not the cost to visit you or the labor charge to do the work.
If it's under magnetron warranty, GE will send you the magnetron to do it yourself. Call them at 888-239-6832.
If it is not within the magnetron warranty, you can find links to helpful exploded view diagrams and part ordering help here.
If you prefer to arrange service by an authorized service center, GE Customer Service is here.
We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Dec 25, 2009
After heavy use, ie jacket spuds or defrosting a lot water moisture will develop, cure for this is to wipe down after use
Posted on Feb 13, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 20, 2015 | GE Spacemaker JVM1750 Microwave Oven
Sep 05, 2012 | LG LTM9000 Microwave Oven
Jun 25, 2011 | Microwave Ovens
May 25, 2011 | Kenmore 60502 Microwave Oven
Jan 15, 2011 | Microwave Ovens
Jun 20, 2010 | Panasonic NN-H504WF Microwave Oven
Feb 12, 2010 | Microwave Ovens
May 26, 2008 | GE Microwave Ovens
250 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!