Question about Acer PC Desktops
My acer M1100 will not boot up... comes up with a error = Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.could not read from the selected boot disk.Please can anyone help Thanks
Edit the Boot.ini file to restore or correct the Default entry and to ensure that the other entries in the [Operating Systems] section of the Boot.ini file point to the appropriate directories.
Use the Bootcfg utility in the Recovery Console to correct the Boot.ini file:
1. Use the Windows XP CD-ROM to start your computer.
2. When you receive the message to press R to repair Windows by using the Recovery Console, press the R key.
3. Select the Windows installation that you want, and then type the administrator password when prompted.
4. Type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER.
5. When the Windows installation is located, the following instructions are displayed:
Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)
[Type Y in response to this message.]
Enter Load Identifier:
[This is the name of the operating system. Type Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition.]
Enter OS Load options:
[Leave this field blank, and then press ENTER].
After you perform the preceding steps, restart the computer, and then select the first item on the boot menu. This should allow Windows XP to start normally.
After Windows XP has successfully loaded, the Boot.ini can be modified to remove the incorrect entry.
1. Start the computer by using your Windows XP CD-ROM. Press any key to boot from the CD.
2. After the setup files are finished loading press R to repair using Recovery Console.
3. When you are in the recovery console, select the installation to log on to (usually number 1), and then press ENTER.
4. Login to the Administrator account by typing the password for this account, and then press ENTER.
5. At the recovery console command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
For Uni-Processor systems:
expand <cd-drive>:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ <hd-drive>:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
For Multi-Processor systems:
expand <cd-drive>:\i386\ntkrnlmp.ex_ <hd-drive>:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Note In these two commands, the <cd-drive> placeholder represents the drive letter of your CD drive, and the <hd-drive> placeholder represents the drive letter of the hard disk on which windows is installed.
6. If you receive a prompt to overwrite the file, press Y.
7. Type exit, and press ENTER at the command prompt.
Start the computer by using the Recovery Console, and then run theCHKDSK /rcommand.
Note You do not have to include the /p switch in the Chkdsk command-line because the /r switch causes the Chkdsk utility to locate bad sectors and recover readable information. This command implies the /p switch..
Posted on Jan 11, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 24, 2013 | Acer PC Desktops
Nov 08, 2012 | Acer Aspire M1100-U1402A Refurbished AMD...
Feb 02, 2012 | PC Desktops
Dec 11, 2011 | Acer Aspire M1100-B1300A Refurbished AMD...
Jan 21, 2011 | Acer Aspire M1100-U1402A Refurbished AMD...
Nov 05, 2010 | Acer Aspire M1100-U1402A Refurbished AMD...
Dec 30, 2009 | Acer Aspire M1100-U1402A Refurbished AMD...
Jul 03, 2009 | Acer PC Desktops
Jan 21, 2009 | Acer Aspire M1100-U1402A Refurbished AMD...
Oct 25, 2015 | Acer PC Desktops
430 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!