Question about Marantz Turntables

1 Answer

Marantz tt2200 mc or mm?

Did the marantz tt2200 turntable come with a mm or mc cartridge as standard?

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Expert
  • 515 Answers

Not sure on the answer to this, but I would recommend using a MM cartridge. Simply because of the cost involved in reproducing the proper sounds utilizing an MC cartridge, as well as the maintenance involved. In addition, the cost of an actual MC cartridge. Expect to spend about US$200 for an average one. For that kind of money, you can get a top of the line MM cartridge. Plus, they are hard to source, especially when the needles break.

Hope this helps some.

DIY Yourself DJ Repair Videos
DJ Equipment Sales

Posted on Jan 11, 2009

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Does a Technics SL-J90 have a preamp?

This player does not have a pre amp. I'l send a link for the service manual, but don't try to change anything.
The element you use, is a MM or a MC (Moving Magnet or moving coil)
The MM gives about 100 times higher voltage, but still less than any modern amplifier can handle. The MC element only gives something between 0,2 and 1 mili volt.
Then if your amplifier does not have a RIAA correction, your preamp should have.
Just google around for MM and MC elements. My guess is you have the original MM element.
TECHNICS SL J90 Service Manual

Dec 27, 2014 | Technics Turntables

1 Answer

Where do you buy turntable belt

Just measure the diameter and thickness of the belt in MM. Then put the results into Google and see what you get. You don't have to be spot on with the measurements!!

Aug 17, 2013 | Marantz Turntables

1 Answer

The sound quality is terrible , it is dull and flat

check ur amplifiers phono selection is it mm or mc. ur sony uses a mm cartridge. so select MM in ur amplifier

Dec 31, 2010 | Sony PS-LX300USB Turntable

1 Answer

No sound through the receiver

Note that on page 6 of the receiver manual (one of the models... you did not tell us which) says that... "the turn table must have an MC type cartridge OR use a seperate preamp or step up transformer"...

The MC cartridge is LIKELY a high output type which is NOT typical...

It MAY be you have too low a level of audio output from the turntable.

Dec 28, 2009 | Gem Sound Turntables

1 Answer

The left channel tends not to work intermittently. I have tested the pre-amp and it appears it is from the turntable. One day it might work and the next it will not.

There will be a pre-amp in the turntable too, presumable you have checked the cartridge, and the everything on the turntable for bad connections?
If yes take the base off and check the pre-amp.

Dec 02, 2009 | Marantz Reference TT-15S1 Turntable

1 Answer

Doe's the P-490 have a MM or Mc cartridge?

you can use either on your turntable provided your amplifier has a moving coil facility? if not your limited to moving magnet type? the moving coils are more expensive and generally better quality, but saying that some moving magnet type cartridges can cost over£100 so, unless you have a high end expensive hi fi i would go for the moving magnet?

Oct 02, 2009 | Teac Turntables

1 Answer


The electrical output from a turntable actually comes from the cartridge on the tone arm. Specifically, it's generated by an interaction between a magnet and a coil inside the cartridge. They come in two types, MC ("moving coil") and MM ("moving magnet") according to which of the two elements moves and which is fixed. MM cartridges produce more current but MC cartridges usually sound better. No matter which you have though, the total output is too low for the regular line inputs on amplifiers. Ten or twenty years ago, amps has special "phono" inputs. This would have a special pre-amplifier in it that would amplify the cartridge's singal to a level suitable for the rest of the amp. Most amps having a phono input only deal with MM cartridges, which have a higher signal.

I use an MC cartridge with an amp that doesn't have a phono input at all; therefore I needed to buy a special external phono pre-amp. I bought a Musical Fidelity X-LPS. But cheaper pre-amps do exist.

Apr 13, 2009 | Turntables

Not finding what you are looking for?
Turntables Logo

Related Topics:

415 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Marantz Turntables Experts


Level 3 Expert

4590 Answers


Level 3 Expert

489 Answers

Electro Med Services...
Electro Med Services...

Level 3 Expert

5653 Answers

Are you a Marantz Turntable Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides