Question about Reliance Water Heaters

1 Answer

How to replace anode in Reliance 6402ORS

I've removed the plastic caps on top of the water heater and found it to be foam filled. I've dug down and have not found the anode. What else can I do?

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Reliance Master
  • 5,089 Answers

Anode can be connected to, and part of hot water nipple.
This is called combo anode rod.

There are also instances where the anode is on top, but does not line up with access holes.
This is more typical with older water heaters.

Don't forget to clean air intake located on bottom of unit, using feather duster or compressed air.

Year of manufacture for Reliance is 2nd and 3rd digit of serial number located on label on side of tank.
Reliance is owned by AO Smith.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012


6 Suggested Answers

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017



Hello EDAN I believe it is 1 1/16" socket.I had 1/2" drive & extention bar as it very TIGHT & hard to turn the rod nut.

Posted on Jul 16, 2010

  • 71 Answers

SOURCE: Reliance gas water heater 40 capicity, has a leak on the top

Most likely only one of the pipes is leaking but weaping enough to cover the top and indented places near both inlet and outlet. This leak has most likely penetrated all the insulation and is a problem throughout the tank wrap insulation...If you are able to blow air continuously long enough to determine which connection is leaking then fix it. It will likely to take quite a while to dry out all the insulation if the water has migrated down into the tank wrap... If you determine that the insulation is waterlogged, you may be able to drill several small holes in the external cover.
good luck

Posted on Jan 06, 2009

  • 234 Answers

SOURCE: Rheem water heater anode replacement

To replace it you will it in the middle of the heat.You will have to have a big wrench or socket to fix it.First turn water off and release psI.Then there won't be a problem to replace.

Posted on Mar 17, 2009

  • 297 Answers

SOURCE: Sulphur smell

you can remove it but this will not fix your problem, you must cut the cold side pour in about half gallon of bleach ,drain heater of a gallon and a half first, then pour in bleach wait one hour then use as normal. you will have a bleach smell for some time but this will make the egg smell disapate.try this it worked for me.

Posted on Jul 21, 2009

  • 252 Answers

SOURCE: cant locate anode rod on rheem gaas water heater

It looks like a plug screwed into the top of the water heater (it IS plugging the hole so turn off water and release pressure b4 removing)

Posted on Oct 01, 2009

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Change anonde rod in a model 602 40 gal.electric

Maybe in a separate anode port on top of heater... or connected to hot water nipple as a combo



1 Answer

Why is there a bad odor from my 19.9 gallon reliance electric hot water heater

Anode rod?
Replace anode rod, or remove anode rod, and clean tank with hydrogen peroxide (not bleach)
Anode will keep tank from rusting.
Cut new anode rod to correct length using hack saw.


Aug 25, 2014 | Water Heaters

1 Answer

I want to check the anode rod on a Rheem 82VH40-2.

Alan, you're exactly correct. If memory serves me it's one of the smaller ones and is located closer to the center than the outer regions. So pop off the covers one at a time and poke around under it with a small screwdriver or scribe or some such thing. You should be able to identify it by it's shape. I believe it's a 13/16th's size of a socket to remove it. Personally, I don't usually replace them unless the customer insists. I think they're a waste of money and can eventually cause very bad odors in the hot water.

Dec 05, 2011 | Rheem 40 GAL ELEC TALL Water Heater 6YR SC...

1 Answer

Water is leaking from the pipe on the top of the tank (Reliance 606 electric) where the hot water comes out and goes into the house. Likely causes?

If tank is rusted out, then that is caused by depleted anode rod, or tank that is not electrically grounded on hot side pipe.
If pipe nipple is rusted out, then that can be caused by improper connection between copper and galvanized pipes, and caused by non-grounded hot water pipes.

If tank is leaking, replace it.
If nipple is leaking, remove with pipe wrench, apply teflon tape or joint compound on threads, and install new nipple. Replace anode rod if possible. Correct copper-galvanized connections. Add ground wire between hot and cold pipes.


1 Answer

Where is anode rod located on 100 Gallon rheem water heater natural gas

Anode rods for tank-type water heaters are located on top of tank.
This is true since anodes are about 44" long.
Top of anode is standard 1-1/16" hex nut.
Anodes can be located in 2 different places: either directly screwed into top of tank -or- attached to hot water nipple.
Most times the exploded parts diagram in manual simply shows 'anode rod' without specifing exact location. If your tank has long warranty, then it can have two anode rods, and 1 will be on top and the other probably attached to hot water nipple, or there could be two anodes screwed into top of tank.

If anode is screwed into top of tank, then it will be under a plastic cap -or- it will be concealed under the top cover of tank.
Look for plastic cap, and if none shows, then remove screws holding down metal cover and look there for 1-1/16" hex nut.
Lastly, remove hot water nipple and check for anode located there.
If you have 2 anode rods, then replace with same metal for each.

Add a comment for more free help.
Also take advantage of fixya expert assistance live.
For a price, expert works with you while you work on water heater or any do-it-yourself project.
Fixya is always less expensive than a service call.

Mar 22, 2011 | Rheem Water Heater Anode Rod AP12938

1 Answer

I have a 30 gal electric reliance 501 240 volt 4500w . getting sulfur smell. I can not find rod to replace.

Anode rods are located on top of tank:
Open links below and watch video.,,20047047,00.html

Top of tank has access to anode, but you might have to take metal top off of tank.
Sometimes product manual has details about location, but drawings in manuals are usually generic and not fully informative.

I suggest loosening anode rod before installing tank so the rod can be easily inspected each 1-3 years.

Add a comment for more free help.
Also take advantage of fixya phone service.
For a price, expert speaks with you over phone while you work on water heater or any do-it-yourself project.
Fixya is always less expensive than a service call.


1 Answer

Does the 501 ahve an anode rod. If so, how do I replace it

Every water heater has an anode rod.

Reliant manuals
Reliant is made by American

I don't find a 501 manual under gas water heaters at reliant.

The Reliant manuals that are available do not show the anode rod in the drawing.
But they do show an access port on top of tank.
The anode rod is usually under the access port which is a round plastic disc.
On some water heaters, the anode rod is under the steel top and you have to remove the screws holding the top on.
Some water heaters, the anode is connected to hot water outlet.

Below are two links for the do-it-yourself-er,,20047047,00.html


2 Answers

Removing anoide.

You will need to turn off water,electric.Release psi.and look at the middle of water heater and you will see a big bolt like thing.You will need a big wrench or socket to remove it.

Mar 15, 2009 | Rheem 40 GAL ELEC TALL Water Heater 6YR SC...

Not finding what you are looking for?
Water Heaters Logo

Related Topics:

174 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Reliance Water Heaters Experts

Mack Baxter

Level 3 Expert

381 Answers

Gil Shultz

Level 3 Expert

3368 Answers


Level 2 Expert

170 Answers

Are you a Reliance Water Heater Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides