You have to login to it as its administrator. Normally you do it from a browser like ie. You type in the IP address of the gateway eg 192.168.2.1 and should come with a screen on the router ..then login if you know the password and go from there in the menus.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
You should connect to router configuration page using your web browser. Normlly the adress you should type is 192.168.0.1. If is the first time you install it or it has factory defaults you will be asked a username and a password. Type admin as username and leave the password field blank. Now you are in router configuration page. From here you can choose a password to protect your wireless lan and a password to protect router access. For more info contact me or go to www.dlink.com
1. Make sure your wireless capability is active on the item your trying to connect.
2. If you are trying to access your own private network some routers such as the Lynksys WRT120N there is a Wi-FI Protection button.
Enter your routers IP Address within your internet explorer such as some are 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.1.1. Then you will want to enter username and password if you have not done a set up or anyone else it may still be default which usually is admin and password. Once you are in your router menu there is a wireless option. Inside the wireless option you have the option to connect manually (with password) or by wireless protected setup. If you have tried with password to log in and it doesnt work try this option. This is done 2 ways.
1. If your device has a wireless protected option hit the icon button for both and they will synch up.
2. If your device has a wireless protected pin number you will have to enter the numbers into each device to synch to system.
mcdevito75, Your router should be protected with a key number or letters set by the router manufacturer, the number or letters you type in to enable the router to connect you to the internet. Wireless requires 4 satalight hook ups to work, as the satalights move your internet connection will come and go. Contact Dell for more info.
Open internet explorer and type that into the search bar..
it should ask for a user name and password, if you never set it for your router before, leave both blank.
that should open up your routers configuration page.. now click on wireless security and turn on either wpa or wep encryption and choose a password.. once you do so you will have to reconnect to your router and then enter the password you just created..
Now you network is protected and only people with your password will be able to connect wirelessly..
Using your wired PC, open Internet Explorer and type http://192.168.2.1 and enter. It will prompt you for username and password. By default there's no password, just click OK or Login. Click on Wireless Tab then Wireless Security, choose WPA-PSK then type your password on the box called passphrase or shared key, minimum of 8 characters then save the settings. That should do it.
Given that you have setup the Internet connection on your router, encrypting the wireless security will be fairly easy for you. Just follow these steps.
1. You should use you PC or MAC that is connected directly to the router via an ethernet cable. You can use PC or MAC, which ever is connected directly to the router (Connected thru cable not wireless).
2. Open Internet Explorer / Firefox (PC) or Safari / Firefox / Internet Explorer (MAC), then go to the address bar and type http://192.168.1.1 into the address bar and press enter. A window will pop up prompting you for a username and password to access the configuration page for your router. Leave the username blank and type admin as the password (**If that will not work, (Enter admin for both the username and password)
3. You should see the Setup page shown below : 4. Click on the Wireless tab at the top of the settings screen. Change the Wireless Network Name (SSID) from the default value to something unique (you can use your name or last name, or any name that you would like, because that will be the name of your wireless network, that will be the one that your wireless computers will detect) then click on Save Settings and then Continue when the Settings are successful dialog is displayed.
5. Now click on the Wireless Security subsection at the top of the page. In order to password protect your wireless network first use the Security Mode dropdown box to select WEP and then from the WEP Security dropdown box select 64 bits 10 hex digits. Choose a password between 6 and 8 characters and type it into the Passphrase box. Then click Generate. It Will generate 4 keys (Key 1-4). You will use key 1 as your password.
6. Finally click Save Settings and then Continue when the Settings are successful dialog is displayed. 7. Now let your wireless PC scan for available wireless networks, find the name of the wireless network that you have specified earlier for SSID then connect to that network. Of course since the network is password protected,it will ask you to enter a password, this is time that you will enter the network key (Key 1 - password).