Question about GE Profile Spacemaker 1.8 Cu. Ft. Over-the-Range Microwave

1 Answer

I have a GE Profile over range microwave, and last night it stopped heating efficiently, then a burning smell and now no power. No lights, no nothing.

So, anyways....I had some sweet potatoes we were reheating....I noticed they weren't heating well, and walked away after putting them on for another minute. Then I smelled a burning smell, and immediately the microwave readout went dead, no lights, no power, nothing. I thought that since perhaps there was a bit of a burning smell it most likely isn't the magnatron....going to call a service guy out tomorrow if it's worth it....hoping maybe it's just a diode or something? What could of that electrical burning smell have been? I'm hoping not magnetron since they are so expensive?

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Master
  • 575 Answers

First check your electrical panel breaker before calling for service.

Posted on Apr 11, 2017

6 Suggested Answers

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

fridgetech
  • 473 Answers

SOURCE: GE PRofile Spacemaker XL Microwave Oven Model# JVM1460 950 watts

Sounds like the problem is in the high voltage. Most common would be magnatron, capacitor and diode. For safety reasons this should be checked by a professional. Look in your owners manual because some high voltage parts have a longer warranty than 1 yr.

Posted on Oct 10, 2007

  • 43 Answers

SOURCE: burning odor, no heat

A burning smell along with a different sound (growl) USUALLY indicates a breakdown in the High Voltage Side. This is not a direct short (short circuit) or the line fuse would have blown shutting everything down. The High Voltage Side is made up of-- The Secondary ,or High Voltage Side of The High Voltage Transformer, A High Voltage Diode, A High Voltage Capacitor, and The Magnetron. If The High Voltage Transformer is the problem it will smell like a florescent light ballast burning, and will smell each time you turn on the MW. A HV Diode burns and opens, thus no more smell. A HV Capacitor usually does not burn nor does the Magnetron. There is no Cheap-Fix unless you can see that the HV Diode is burned into and you can get to it to replace. CAUTION: Always unplug from power before attempting to repair. NOTE: If you replace a Diode make sure it goes back in the same direction it came out. Yes there is a front and back.

Posted on Jan 26, 2008

MicrowaveSvc
  • 9047 Answers

SOURCE: GE Profile Spacemaker Microwave - won't heat

Thanks for making your post very detailed and including the model number. That really helps! :)

With the symptoms you have, I would most strongly suspect a shorted high voltage rectifier diode or a bad magnetron.


The diode is a fairly easy & cheap do-it-yourself fix, and the mag will cost more.

If you or someone you know decide to look into it, we have critical safety information and disassembly information at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa.

There should be a "mini-manual" (tech sheet) hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting, testing, and locating components.

At our Web site, we have a video available showing how to remove a typical over the range control panel assembly in under 5 minutes.

Here are some links you or someone you know can use for test help, but read their safety warnings first:

http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/diode.html (if it's not shorted, it's probably okay)

http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/mag_test.html

http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/xformer.html

You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on Dec 13, 2008

  • 1 Answer

SOURCE: My GE spacemaker microwave won't heat and makes an unusual sound

I have the same problem on my oven- model JVM1640WB and called an appliance repairman who is honest and reliable (I've used him before). He said the problem is with the electrode, to fix it is roughly $300. He recommended buying a new microwave rather than fixing it.

Posted on Mar 19, 2009

localwonder
  • 6784 Answers

SOURCE: MICROWAVE IS NOT HEATING

HI, the actual device that produces the heat is damaged or faulty. this device is called the Magnetron. you will need to replace this part in order to restore the heating ability of this microwave oven.

Please rate and have a great day:)

Posted on May 29, 2009

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

GE Profile Spacemaker 2004 JVM3670BF02 doesn't Heat up


Ensure that you have select the correct range of temperature.

Sep 11, 2012 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Have ge profile spacesaver xl sensor. will not heat strange buzzing sound and burning smell. clock, light, vent still work


This is most likely a defective magnetron, especially with the burning smell. There are two other parts that can be a problem, the high voltage capacitor and diode, all three work together to heat food. If the magnetron is the culprit, probably cheaper to replace the microwave oven.

Mar 02, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE profile spacesaver 2.0-does not heat and slight smell of electric burning when it is turned on. Turntable turns, fans work keypads work- just no heating and the electric odor. Filters and inside are...


MOST LIKELY YOU HAVE WHAT IS CALLED A MAGNETRON THAT HAS FAILED... IT IS THE PART THAT DOES ALL THE HEATING ...YOU DO ALSO HAVE A HIGH VOLTAGE TRANSFORMER THAT SEND POWER TO THE MAGNETRON BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE A MAGNETRON.... to be honest with you unless you are servicer it normally cost more to repair and for a few dollars more you can purchase a new one..... good luck to you.....

Jan 03, 2011 | GE Profile Spacemaker Over-the-Range...

1 Answer

My3yr old GE profile microwave doesn't warm up


from what you are discribing , I would be looking at the high voltage transformer

Feb 13, 2010 | GE Profile Over-the-Range Microwave

1 Answer

Microwave made a pop sound and stopped heating. It also had a smell of something burnt.


either the h.v diode,h.v capacitor or the mag tube is defective,chk diode first

Oct 06, 2009 | GE Profile Spacemaker Over-the-Range...

1 Answer

Loud pop and microwave doesn't heat anymore


I have a GE Profile Spacemaker model JVM3670WF001, purchased I think in 2003. Pop sound, no Heat. Light goes on, carousel goes around,
Repair or new microwave

Jun 03, 2009 | GE Profile Spacemaker Over-the-Range...

1 Answer

GE Profile Spacemaker II - Burning smell and no heating


You may have a failure of the H.V. rectifier. I would recommend that a trained technician replace this part due to the high voltage potential.

Jun 02, 2008 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Burning odor, no heat


A burning smell along with a different sound (growl) USUALLY indicates a breakdown in the High Voltage Side. This is not a direct short (short circuit) or the line fuse would have blown shutting everything down. The High Voltage Side is made up of-- The Secondary ,or High Voltage Side of The High Voltage Transformer, A High Voltage Diode, A High Voltage Capacitor, and The Magnetron. If The High Voltage Transformer is the problem it will smell like a florescent light ballast burning, and will smell each time you turn on the MW. A HV Diode burns and opens, thus no more smell. A HV Capacitor usually does not burn nor does the Magnetron. There is no Cheap-Fix unless you can see that the HV Diode is burned into and you can get to it to replace. CAUTION: Always unplug from power before attempting to repair. NOTE: If you replace a Diode make sure it goes back in the same direction it came out. Yes there is a front and back.

Jan 26, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
GE Profile Spacemaker 1.8 Cu. Ft. Over-the-Range Microwave Logo

Related Topics:

63 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1167 Answers

 Larry
Larry

Level 2 Expert

115 Answers

Shekar Avadhani

Level 2 Expert

61 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...