My computer doesn't recognize my Motorola Broadband cable modem.
Every time I try to run the CD on my laptop, when it gets to the part where it trys to recognize the modem, it can't. All the green lights on the front are on except the one called "Line". It is always orange. I am running Windows Vista - do I need a newer one? Thanks.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
2 completely different technologies.
FAX uses phone line (analogue) and router is digital.
It's one or the other.
Plugging what is essentially a modem into another modem was never going to work.
Scan and email is much faster and easier.
Or FAX to FAX through phone line.
The Cable modem must be disconnected from the computer. You cannot use USB and Ethernet at the same time.
1. Turn off power to the Cable Modem and the Netgear Router. Do the same with the computer. 2. Connect an ethernet cable from the modem to the router's WAN (Internet) port. 3. Connect another ethernet cable from one of the remaining 4 LAN ports on the router to the computer's ethernet port.
4. Now power on the Cable Modem ONLY. Wait for the modem to sync up with your service provider 5. After about 2-5 minutes power up the router and wait about 1-2 minutes. 6. Now power on your PC.
Check and see if you have internet access. If not you may have to uninstall any cable modem software related to USB connection. if this is the case, then you may have to repeat steps 4-6.
Since most cable internet providers do not use proprietary connection settings, your internet connection should be up and running without changing any settings in the router or modem.
If this does not resolve your issues, we can continue to work with you.
You can still use your existing Linksys router with your cable modem. In fact the router your have is designed to work with DSL/Cable Broadband connections.
1. Make sure to properly connec the devices in your network. Modem will be connected to the Internet port of the router. Then, laptop will be connected to one of the 4 Ethernet ports of the router. For initial setup of your router with modem, you need to hardwire laptop to the router.
2. Press and hold reset at the back of the router for about 15 seconds.
3. After 15 seconds turn off the router and then turn off the modem. Wait for a minute.
4. Power on modem and wait for the lights to be ready.
5. When modem lights are on, turn on router.
6. There should be 4 lights on. Power should be steady green. Internet, WLAN and Ethernet port.
7. Checked if you have Internet connectivity on your laptop while it is wired to the router.
8. If Internet is working, disconnect laptop from wired connection to the router and check available wireless network that laptop can detect.
9. The default wireless network name that the Linksys router broadcasts is "linksys". Connect to it which is an unsecured wireless network.
10. Once you are successfully connected, check Internet.
-- who is your internet service provider -- what is the operating system of your computer? -- is this working fine before or is this a brand new router
you may try this and see if this help solve your problem
Step 1: Shutdown the computer. Step 2: reset the router while power on then Unplug the router’s power cable. Step 3: Unplug the Broadband modem’s power cable and wait for 30 seconds. Step 4: Plug in the Broadband modem’s power cable and wait for its lights to appear stable. Step 5: Plug in the router's power cable once the modem’s lights appear stable. Step 6: Power on the computer on and configure the router settings
Step 7: test the Internet connection.