Question about Aardvark Direct Pro Q10 (bundle) External Sound System
I recently got the aardvark Q10 off ebay ...guy said in description drivers included...didn't happen...I am looking for the whole driver cd for installing this. Also I have a motu 2408 interface can this be run into this unit somehow for additional inputs???
I am running Win XP Sp2
You can use it with sp2. just make sure you have disabled any other sound cards on your computer in the hardware device manager. you can download the drivers here...make sure you use the 7.13 version
Posted on Mar 02, 2009
I seem to be a great test case for running Aardvark cards in a modern quad-core system on Windows XP SP3. I've got an Intel Q9550 quad proc, Gigabyte GA-P43-ES3G v1.1 mobo, an Aardvark Q-10, & an Aardvark 24/96.
After reading the forums below, I have a good idea of what I need to do. I'm going to summarize those ideas below & cite sources, but first I'd like to submit my theory explaining why Aardvarks work so badly starting with XP's Service Pack 2.
XP's SP2 & Win2000's SP4 introduced a 36-bit addressing system called PAE, which was designed to support more than 4GB of RAM (never quite worked right), as well as the use of Data Execution Prevention (DEP). SP2 installs the capability & automatically turns it on, just to screw with us. This was done after the Aardvark drivers were written, & even ProTools had problems with PAE; lots of stuff did.
Fortunately, PAE can be turned off. This is what worked for me, in my c:\boot.ini file:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WinXP Pro Corp SP3" /NoExecute=AlwaysOff /fastdetect
To check to see whether it is really off (after rebooting), open the System Control Panel, and check on the General tab. If it says "Physical Address Extensions" anywhere under the Computer heading (usually on the 4th line, under the line that says how much RAM you have), PAE is enabled.
If it's still running PAE, try one of these in the boot.ini file instead.
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WinXP Pro Corp SP3" /NoExecute=AlwaysOff /NOPAE /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WinXP Pro Corp SP3" /NoExecute=AlwaysOff /NOPAE /KERNEL=ntkrnl.exe /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WinXP Pro Corp SP3" /execute /fastdetect
(it's different in Vista so if you're crazy enough to try using the Aardvark in Vista, read this: http://thehunk.blogspot.com/2007/06/disabling-physical-address-extension.html)
general approach to using an Aardvark in Windows XP SP3 on a multi-core computer
1) It helps to know the *rest* of your hardware works right. With the Aardvark cards not installed in the computer, run Memtest86+ for 24 hours with no errors.
2) Install Windows XP. (Do not install any drivers, even motherboard chipset drivers or graphics card drivers. Also, keep it off the network since it's unpatched & unprotected.)
3) Disable PAE & DEP by modifying boot.ini.
4) Disable the computer's internal sound card in the BIOS if you can, and/or in Device Manager.
5) Run the Prime95 blend stress-test for 24 hours each with no errors. If you get errors in these tests you have to fix that issue first.
6) Use Acronis or Ghost to create an image of the partition exactly as it is now, before installing any drivers or system updates. This way, when it crashes, you can reset to this safe point quickly.
7) Physically install the Aardvark cards into the machine.
8) The order in which you load drivers matters. If your first attempt doesn't work, try doing things just slightly differently the next time. Write everything down to keep track of what you try and what happens. First attempt, try loading the motherboard chipset drivers first, then the display adapter, network card, etc & finally the Aardvark drivers, version 7.13.
9) Aardvark drivers 7.13 and 7.14 support hyperthreading and multi-core processors; 7.04 does not, but some people have success with 7.04 so don't assume anything. (7.04 crashes my new computer hard, but seemed to work better on my Athlon 3000+)
10) You may have to try switching which PCI slot the card is plugged into, or try to assign the IRQ in the BIOS or in Windows Device Manager.
11) If it absolutely won't run in your system using XP SP3, try XP SP1 (clean install, not a roll-back). Keep your machine off teh internets for gods sake (or you'll get wormed in 30 seconds & your computer will be a spambot).
12) Set the "timing master" in Sonar or similar programs to your last set of inputs. If you have an Aardvark Q10 in your system, this would be 9/10. (In my case, I think it will be my second card's last outputs, so it's my 24/96's 5/6 inputs.) Also, disable any read & write caching.
Posted on Jul 24, 2010
I use a Q10 with XPSP3 currently.I used to have freezing problems but I discovered that the Order I loaded the drivers for all devices in my computer [Fresh Install of all including the OS]made all the difference.All my freezing went away.As we all have different systems I can only suggest change the order of driver install,not be more specific.
Posted on Dec 14, 2009
I have 7.13, use it with guitar tracks pro 3 from cakewalk. Q10 crashes a lot though and causes me to restart my pc. Any resolution to this? I have XP sp3 and intel pentium 4. 1gb ram.
Posted on Nov 29, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 12, 2010 | Aardvark Direct Pro Q10 (bundle) External...
Feb 26, 2009 | Aardvark Direct Pro Q10 (bundle) External...
Jun 29, 2008 | Aardvark Direct Pro Q10 (bundle) External...
Feb 17, 2008 | Aardvark Direct Pro Q10 (bundle) External...
Jan 27, 2008 | Aardvark Direct Pro Q10 (bundle) External...
Jan 04, 2013 | Aardvark Direct Pro Q10 (bundle) External...
Oct 12, 2010 | Aardvark Direct Pro Q10 (bundle) External...
1,836 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!