I replaced the ac adaptor on the motherboard. It literally fell to pieces when I removed the soldier. Before this, the unit booted correctly it would not charge the battery or run with the ac cord. Now it charges and turns on with the battery and/or the cord but will not boot. It runs for a brief few seconds then the fan turns of and then nothing. No image or anything come on the screen. I can hear the dvd drive trying to run. It has a 4.2 Ghz processor, 512 MB or ram, and is running windows xp. How can I tell whether it needs another motherboard or just a bios update? I am stuck and can't figure out what to do next. Is installing another motherboard possible?
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Most likely in this case, the damage is to the hard drive or its connection to the motherboard. The CQ series though has a three point screw attachment for the hard drive so Im more inclined to think that the shock of the landing has damaged the read/write head on the hard drive. If you happen to have another hard drive for a laptop, try installing a new drive and run the installation disc and see if it will complete and boot completely....if it will then the problem was the old drive.
Some laptops will not power up with a completely discharged or faulty battery. Remove the battery from the laptop, plug in the power cord and try to boot the system. If the system boots, your battery needs to be replaced. Replace your battery as soon as you can, it's not a good idea to run the laptop for extended periods with an open battery bay.
very first thing u have do is if u have any other laptop try and connect the aac adaptor with that laptop and also try the battery if it is working with the other laptop that means the motherboard of the computer has gone bad u need to replace it and what also u can try is disconnect the ac adaptor and take out the battery from the laptop and the without ac adaptor and the battery press and hold down the power button for one minute and then connect the ac adaptor and put the battery back in and then try and turn on the computer and also what u can do is shut down the computer first and then just hit the power butoon once only to turn it on and then keep tapping f8 key on the keyboard and it will take u to windows advance options and select safe mode with networking and then try if it turns on to the windows screen or not......and if it doesnt turn ono then definately replace the motherboard...good luck....
Please first make sure that your adaptor is working.
Try to remove the battery and connect your laptop to the adaptor. Swith on. If nothing chages, then there is good chance that you have a motherboard related problem.
Hve u tried a differnt adaptor , the adaptor might be blown too ,try replacing the adaptor , also check for the power cord if it has any kinks in it which may be interrupting the power supply , since the adaptor 18.5 v 3.5 a is the most common of all hp adaptors u should find one to try .
Disconnect the AC Adaptor, Take the battery out, press and hold the power button for 7 seconds. Put the battery back in. Connect AC adaptor. Turn the computer on. If issue persist, restart and get into Advanced Boot Option by clicking on F8 Key and choose "Last Known Good Configuration" option. If issue persists please post for further help.