Question about Panasonic Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Is the microwave possibly dangerous after it popped & now smells

I was microwaving soup & the microwave popped & there is a irritating smell-either chemical or electrical-is this dangerous?

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Master
  • 706 Answers

Hello jeffnlaur,
The sound you heard could be any number of things but I would attempt to verify the basic preformance of the microwave was ok by placing a cup of water in the cooking compartment and switching the micro on for about 2 minutes.. The water should be close to or at a boil after this time ( depending on glass type and power output of oven). Listen for any other irregular sounds while it is running. You may have heard something in the soup pop or some of the electronics within the micro arc but it may not mean it is dangerous. Try the water test first and if it continues to exibit internal noises and burning a burning smell, I would discrad the oven. Table top models are very inexpensive and the cost to diagnose and repair would probably exceed the cost to replace,
In terms of dangerous, there are safety devices to cut off power to the magnetron and other components if warranted. Not sure that helps you but with limited info from your side, diagnostics are 'iffy' at best..
Regards
Rick

Posted on Jan 09, 2009

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Run microwave empty


I would never recommend using a microwave that emits a burning smell.

Mar 27, 2014 | Samsung Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

Our microwave has stopped working for the second time in two years. When you try to heat something, it hums but not quite like it is heating. There is also a funny smell.


SAFTY FIRST

UN -PLUG IT,,,,, THAT "FUNNY SMELL" SOUNDS LIKE IT IS SHORTING OUT
PERHAPS THE MEGATRON HAS GONE BAD, THE MEGATRON IS THE
HEART OF ANY MICROWAVE
AS A EX- FIREMAN, I KNOW FROM FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE THAT
"A FUNNY SMELL " OR " UN-USUALL SMELL COMING FROM AN ELECTRICAL
ITEM IS A SIGN OF DANGER

Feb 05, 2011 | GE Profile Spacemaker JVM1871 Microwave...

1 Answer

Micro GE Spacemaker XL1400 Sunday I was warming up soup for three minutes when ready open door and I heard a click, micro shut down I tested the power outlet with the blender and It work An hour later the...


IF YOU SMELLED BURNING TAHTS BAD, IT SOUNDS LIKE YOUR MAG TUBE WENT OUT (ITS WHAT MAKES THE MICROWAVES) iT WILL BE CHEAPER TO REPLACE IT, NEW UNIT STARTING FROM $115 FOR THE SAME MODEL

Jun 07, 2010 | GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Heard a pop and then an electrical smell. Unit is working but a faint electrical smell occurs each time unit used. Should I continue using it? It is built in with a trim kit.


No that is a very dangerous situation. What is sounds like is you had a short that blew apart but not completely damaging the wires. You should unplug, and open it if its out of warranty and inspect the wires. If the wires are partially burned it can heat up and cause an electrical fire.

May 19, 2010 | Panasonic NN-S541 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

We have an MMV5165AAB Microwave oven, installed January of '06. It has always made some loud sounds, which generally go away. But today, when I tried to microwave soup for 1 minute and 20 seconds, it gave...


the unit inside the microwave that heats called the "magnetron" has gone bad or the circuits that power the magnetron have failed. if its under warranty still, send it back to the manufacturer. if not you can call some repair shops and see how much it would be to service it, but its most likely going to be cheaper to purchace a new microwave since they are relatively cheap these days. microwaves are throw away product now days, they dont make them to last anymore, i hope this helps and good luck to you

Jan 14, 2010 | Maytag MMV5165 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Sparks pops odd burned smell


I would certainly take it to a repair shop if you want to try and salvage it. Until then keep it off and unplugged.

Feb 14, 2009 | Frigidaire PLMV168 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Door inside and metal vent area smells strongly of fumes


Did you find an answer toyour question?
My microwave smells also of petrol in the same areas.

Jun 05, 2008 | GE JVM1653 Microwave Oven

5 Answers

Microwave not works


WARNING: Microwave ovens are the most dangerous consumer appliance to service due to up to 5,000 V at high current inside. Even with the power off, there is a HV capacitor that can produce a lethal kick. This capacitor must be discharged before touching anything in the microwave generator circuitry. DON'T remove the cover yourself unless you fully undertand the SAFETY issues involved in working inside a microwave oven. A microwave oven is possibly THE MOST DANGEROUS common consumer product to service. About the only "easy" fix would be a blown fuse, if it keeps blowing, don't go any further unless you know what you are doing. Your likely options are a blown high voltage cap, diode, or the magnetron. Good luck(but luck has nothing to do with it ;] )

Apr 01, 2006 | Sharp R-320H Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

250 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Panasonic Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17129 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

Are you a Panasonic Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...