Hitachi 57inch tv 4 years old has a black mark on the screen
The screen has a black mark looks almost like a a paint brush stroke it's 2 inches wide by 10 inches long on the bottom left hand side of the screen bottom on the mark is darker than the top. Does anyone have any suggestions on a fix or what the cost would be to fix it?
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert who has written 50 answers of more than 400 characters.
An expert who has answered 200 questions.
Re: Hitachi 57inch tv 4 years old has a black mark on the...
Thanks for your reply. The only thing that causes marks like that is usually the glue that holds the lenticular screen and the fresnal lens together heats up and drips (or slides) down. There is usually a strip of black tape that seals the two pieces of thin, glass sheets. This allows for easier installation and keeps debris from getting between screen and lens, however, someone overlooked the elements of heat and aging on this tape.The screen and lens can either be replaced or disassembled and cleaned. They are very expensive, (a few hundred dollars each), and disassembly can be very tedious. One caution I must give you is to make sure if you seperate the screen and lens make sure they go back together facing the same way. Try to clean only with warm water and a few drops of a very mild cleanser like dawn. If all else fails, you can buy a used screen sometimes from a local factory authorized service center. Occasionally they save the ones that are in decent shape. I have one 57" screen here in cincinnati that would work. Good luck, Russmann.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Read Each Step Completely - Make Sure 3 Color Guns Are Off And Cool - ---------------------------------------------- 1. Remove Rear Dust Cover
2. Remove the Front Speaker Cover May be Held In By Plastic Pins and or Anchors on the Bottom Note" - Remove The Plastic Cover Just Above Speaker Cover Maybe 2 Piece.
Remove The Screws Holding Top Of Speaker Cover. Then Pull Toward You the Bottom Maybe Anchored So Lift Up.
4.Once Speaker Cover Removed, May Have Screws Just Below Center Plastic Cover Remove Them, Now Remove Center Cover Between Speakers -NOTE" Do Not Touch, Move Any Color Convergence KNOBS" - Lift Front Screen UP - Towards Roof - It Has 3 Flex Grab Anchors On Top And 2 Pins One On Each Side Of TV Frame. - NOTE" Lay Screen On Floor It Is Plexi Glass So It Will Brake If Bent Or Drop Hammer On.
NOTE"- May Have To Remove plastic Cover Frame positioned Around Front Screen And Then Remove Screws.
5. I Use Windex Glass Cleaner And Either Cotton Balls Or White Tube Sock On Color Gun Lens Covers And Clean Mirror Like The One In Bath Room.
6. Take White Sheet Or Bead Spread And Anchor On top Of TV With Weights, Stretch Around Each Side Of TV Use Chairs To Anchor On Each Side Of TV. Place Dust Cover Or Heavy Card Board Where Plexi Glass Was Positioned.
7. Turn On TV - go To Rear and Now You Can Adjust Colors Brightness And Low Light - High Light - Horizontal - Ect....While Looking at Picture.
8. Install In REVERSE - Order Just Wipe Color Guns Lens Last. Note" - If you have Wet/Dry Vac or Fan Or Blow Dryer Take A 2 - to - 3 Inch Paint Brush And While Brushing Circuit Boards Any Dust For That Matter Blow Dust Off And Out Even Brush Speaker Cover"...ECT...Do This Before Any Cleaning
9. Just A Thought If You Ever Want to Change Color Gun Cooling Oil - Wrap All Circuit Boards With plastic Bags And then I use Bath Towol And Paper Towols To Catch As Much Spill As I Can And Then Spray With Windex To Make Dry While Blowing Air Onto Spill - Also I have Found Clear Mineral Oil Like Johnson Baby Oil To Work As Well If Not Better Then Glycol Oil. I Get For $2.50 For 20 Oz Bottle.
This is a convergence problem and igf you can solder, you can probably fix this yourself. If you feel comfortable working inside the set, and are aware of the dangers of the high voltage present there. try the following: Resolder the pins on the convergence ICs. If that fails to resolve the problem, replace the ICs. These are large black ICs attached to a heatsink and should be marked STKxxx.
if its is viewable when off then yes its water or oil.between the screens.these screen don't normally come off from the front. they have to be access from the rear. could be big job. only way to tell is to remove the rear cover.
Your problem is with the blue color,maybe some dirt is sitting on the face of the blue crt and is being projected bigger to the screen,you should try cleaning the face of all 3 tubes,if you familiar with tv service this should help,be careful when removing the back and make sure the set is unplug when you do the cleaning.Let us know how it goes.