Question about KitchenAid KCM511 Coffee Maker
If the water is running out the seams in the plastic BEFORE you brew anything, it is a defect or design flaw. I bought one that looks like the one pictured and it did the same thing. So did the replacement.
If the overflow occurs during brewing, verify the following:
Coffee overflowing onto the counter is a common complaint found in response to many automatic drip coffee makers. The following are potential solutions that can be used to rule out "operator error" vs. a defect or malfunction:
1. Do not "pack" or otherwise overfill the cone/basket with grinds.
2. Ensure you are using the correct grind for an automatic drip coffee maker, neither too fine nor too course. (See instruction manual.)
3. Do not overfill with water. Use the carafe to pour water into the reservoir. This is because a "cup" in coffee terms is defined as 6 oz, not 8 oz. Note: Some coffee makers define as little as 5 oz as a cup.
4. Make sure the filter cone/basket clicks into place and that the carafe is centered and pushed all the way in.
5. Try a permanent filter rather than a paper filter or vice versa.
6. Only use the correct permanent or paper filter (see manual).
7. Verify that the Pause 'n Serve button isn't sticking. If it is activated too long the brew will escape over the top of the cone/basket. This may be more apt to happen if the alignment of the carafe and the basket is incorrect.
8. Clean your machine with vinegar or as instructed by your user manual at least three times per year, more if your water supply is hard. A properly cleaned machine is less likely to suffer a burned out heating element, to take too long to brew, to produce "off" tasting coffee, or to clog and overrun the filter basket as the water runs through the grinds.
9. Ensure that the coffee machine is sitting level on the counter.
Posted on Jan 04, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 11, 2017 | Coffee Makers & Espresso Machines
Dec 25, 2011 | Keurig B60 Coffee Maker
Jun 22, 2011 | Jura Capresso Impressa S8 Coffee Maker,...
B30 would only brew a partial cup and stop. Had to run 3 times to
With the coffee maker unplugged and an empty cup in place, I filled the reservoir with filtered water and with a short length of flexible plastic tubing I blew in to the small hole in the bottom of the reservoir. I did this 4 or 5 times sucking some water in to the tube to force it through the system. When I had finished there were a lot of grounds in the cup and the next time I used the coffee maker it worked perfectly.
Apr 17, 2011 | Keurig B30 Mini Coffee Maker
1. Power off machine.
2. Using a metal paperclip, insert it into left side of top needle. It must insert at least 1" deep. Insert it into slot on right side and again from back of needle.
3. Remove KCup cradle. Separate bottom from top. In the top section, insert the paperclip up into bottom needle from the bottom upwards. It will not go all the way thru and this is normal.
4. Reassemble KCup cradle and reinsert it back into coffee maker.
5. Power on machine.
6. Brew a cup of water only. There may be coffee grounds in the water and these should eventually clear during the remaining steps. NOTE: A large cup brew cycle should output a full 8 ounces (235cc). Less means there is still a blockage
7. Empty reservoir and fill with undiluted distilled white vinegar. Repeatedly run brewing cycle until Add Water light comes on.
8. Make sure Auto-OFF is NOT set and let last cycle of vinegar remain inside machine for 4 hours.
9. Refill reservoir with fresh water and repeatedly run brewing cycle until the water is clear and odorless.
10. Set Auto-OFF, if preferred.
Nov 21, 2010 | Keurig B50 Coffee Maker
Oct 10, 2009 | Philips Senseo HD-7810 Coffee Maker
Apr 26, 2009 | Krups FME2 Coffee Maker
Sep 13, 2007 | Brewmatic 151 Coffee Maker
486 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Level 3 Expert
Level 3 Expert
Level 2 Expert