Question about Computers & Internet
The best way to charge any new battery is to charge it to fullest the first time fully and then drain the battery to full before charging the second time. You should drain your battery completely in order to get a proper backup.
Posted on Jan 08, 2009
a 6ya Technician can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Technician (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 12, 2013 | HP Computers & Internet
on Dec 09, 2010 | Computers & Internet
Mar 18, 2013 | Computers & Internet
The likely cause of the original
battery fault is a very common mistake in the way laptops are used. A laptop battery,
working at optimum efficiency, whether of the older Nickel Cadmium and Nickel
Metal Hydride or newer Lithium Ion types, is meant to charge under power and
then discharge under use, if it is to have a long and useful life. This means
that it should be used in a similar way to a cellphone's battery - connected to
mains electricity and charged up when low or flat and then disconnected from
the power and used on battery power alone until the power level means the cycle
needs repeating. Many people, however, unwittingly use their laptops like desktop PCs and
leave the mains electricity permanently connected to it even after the battery is fully
charged. The reason that people cite for doing this is 'convenience'. This,
however, is a mistake.
Laptops have more flexibility
than cellphones in that, if they are mainly used in one place rather than as
mobile devices, then it is possible to charge the battery to full capacity,
disconnect from the mains, then remove and keep the battery until the next time
the laptop's mobility function is required (periodically recharge the stored
battery if not in use for long periods of time because the charge slowly
dissipates when not in use), reconnect the mains to the battery-less laptop and
use it like that, ad infinitum.
When a laptop battery is fully charged, what it really wants to do is discharge. However, maintaining the mains connection prevents it from doing so. The Power Management System on the motherboard is designed to cope with long periods of either battery powered or battery-less mains powered use, but not long periods of simultaneous battery + mains powered use. A fully charged battery still connected to mains electricity has no means of discharging and various power sensitive components such as the Power Inverter, Cold Cathode Backlight, LCD Panel, Graphics Chip and Motherboard Power Management Stystem can become damaged by the power bottleneck created.
Using the battery in this wrong way also gradually depletes the charging capacity of the cells, until eventually, the cells can carry no charge, meaning a dead battery. A dead battery, where the cells are depleted, left in the laptop with the mains connected, is even worse for the Power Managent System because the flow of power to the motherboard via the dead battery cells is inefficient and intermittent, creating battery overheating, low CPU Cooling Fan speed, inferior cooling and consequent internal overheating hazards in addition to potential electrical damage to several components. When damage to the Motherboard Power Management System passes a certain point, even a new battery might not charge - the situation in which you now find yourself.
Loose DC jacks, leading to intermittent power drops and surges, are typically caused by the jack being allowed to take the weight of the heavy transformer box on the laptop's power cable. The solution is to ensure that the laptop is never held, carried or used with the transformer hanging unsupported. If the laptop is in use, the transformer should be disconnected, carried, placed on a desk or table near the laptop (if the cord is short) or laid completely full-weight-flat on the floor (if the cord is long enough). Also, a Surge Suppressor/Surge Protector should always be used between the mains power socket and all computer equipment, rather than directly to the mains.
If either the Motherboard Power Management System or DC Jack are ever
damaged, your laptop would require professional specialist repair by a Component Level
Laptop Repair Specialist, providing No Fix No Fee, Warrantied Repairs (
typically 3-6 months Repair Warranty).
I hope this helps.
If this answer
does help you, please take the time to rate it. This helps answerers better
understand the needs and the point of view of the asker and guides us in
exploring the best ways to provide useful, high quality answers. If you need
further help, please feel free to post another question or add a comment to
Thanks for using FixYa.
Oct 07, 2011 | Dell Latitude C610 Notebook
Oct 12, 2010 | Dell Latitude D610 Notebook
Aug 30, 2010 | Computers & Internet
Aug 18, 2010 | Acer Aspire One PC Notebook
Oct 26, 2009 | HP Pavilion dv9000z Notebook
Jul 14, 2009 | ASUS Eee PC 900 Notebook
Feb 22, 2009 | Dell Inspiron 1501 Notebook
64 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!