- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
I had this same problem and it is fixable, but not the way you would probably like, though you can still scan with the printer. You just have to open the Paint program and click from scanner or camera, and then choose your printer and click scan preview, and then scan, it works just fine but its a little time consuming.
This is a HP hardware/software error and HP has not fixed it.
The C4250 may report that "USB is not connected" but the printer works just fine and when you use the Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard to carry out a scan, it works just fine too. So the error message is wrong.
The Microsost Scanner and Camera Wizard can be found on the Control Panel.
Can you print from it? It sounds like you just need to install the software that came with it, it has all the drivers you need or go to hp website and download the newest drivers. Update your drivers and then it will recognize it.
Ok - the reason this error pops up is because there is a software issue going on. If the software is correctly installed you will see options for where the scan will go in the computer.
Having said that there are several things that can cause a problem between the printer and the software;
1) You are connecting the printer by USB to router - you may print but will never be able to scan as this is not a networkable printer. Connect it directly to your computer and recomplete the setup portion to configure the scanner.
2) You have not finished the setup. At the end of the installer you can setup the scanner but if you skipped this step you will have to redo it in order for it to connect. Click on the device manager in your dock and then next to information and settings there will be a little wheel. Click on the wheel and go to setup assistant. Complete the assistant and try to scan.
3) The printer is not grabbing the new software options - leave the printer turned on but unplug the power cord and wait for 30 seconds. Plug printer back in - when you do this it should initialize and will look to the mac for changes and the options should load.
4) Software missing - You MUST have the software for the printer installed for scanning function. Adobe and other programs cannot replace it - it has to be installed.
5) Software is corrupted. Uninstall the software (uninstaller is under applications in the HP folder) and then download (www.hp.com) and install the most recent full feature software and drivers for your operating system.
6) If all these steps fail you may have an issue with your computer and it's TWAIN drivers.
I have heard of this problem several times. Try another USB port (I'll assume it is USB and not parallel). If that does not work, pay the $35.00 to HP and have them walk you thru their steps to repair. NOTE: HP software/drivers of-late are *extremely* finicky to keep on-line! Esp. with the scanning part. Want a very good, inexpensive, AIO printer that just *works*!?!?!? Buy anything from Canon. They're hardware is exceptional, their software is not intrusive (like HP), and it just...... works!
Don't try to scan from the printer control panel. You need to launch the "HP Photo and Imaging Director" from your computer. I have HP Photo & Imaging SoftwareVersion 2.0 installed which I believe was obtained from the HP site for the C4385.
The scan function works fine if you use this software.