Hp officejet 6500 instructions for receiving a fax?
You can receive faxes automatically or manually. If you turn off the Auto Answer option, you must receive faxes manually. If you turn on the Auto Answer option (the default setting), the device automatically answers incoming calls and receives faxes after the number of rings that are specified by the Rings to Answer setting. (The default Rings to Answer setting is five rings.)
If you receive a legal-size fax and the device is not currently set to use legal-size paper, the device reduces the fax so that it fits on the paper that is loaded. If you have disabled the Automatic Reduction feature, the device prints the fax on two pages.
NOTE: If you are copying a document when a fax arrives, the fax is stored in the
device memory until the copying finishes. This can reduce the number of fax pages stored in memory.
This section contains the following topics:
• Receive a fax manually
• Set up backup fax reception
• Reprint received faxes from memory
• Poll to receive a fax
• Forward faxes to another number
• Set the paper size for received faxes
• Set automatic reduction for incoming faxes
• Block junk fax numbers
• Receive faxes to your computer (Fax to PC and Fax to Mac)
Receive a fax manually
When you are on the phone, the person you are speaking with can send you a fax while you are still connected. This is referred to as manual faxing. Use the instructions in this section to receive a manual fax.
NOTE: You can pick up the handset to talk or listen for fax tones.
You can receive faxes manually from a phone that is:
• Directly connected to the device (on the 2-EXT port)
• On the same phone line, but not directly connected to the device
NOTE: The automatic document feeder must be empty to receive a fax. If there are documents in the ADF, then the device will not be able to receive incoming faxes.
To receive a fax manually
1. Make sure the device is turned on and you have paper loaded in the input tray.
2. Remove any originals from the document feeder tray.
NOTE: The automatic document feeder must be empty to receive a fax. If there
are documents in the document feeder, then receiving the fax will be
3. Do one of the following to answer a fax manually:
• Set the Rings to Answer setting to a high number to allow you to answer the
incoming call before the device answers.
• Turn off the Auto Answer setting so that the device does not automatically
answer incoming calls.
4. If you are currently on the phone with the sender, instruct the sender to press Start on their fax machine.
5. When you hear fax tones from a sending fax machine, do the following:
a. Press START FAX Black or START FAX Color on the device control panel.
b. When prompted, select Fax Receive.
NOTE: Depending on your country/region, the device might receive the fax
automatically when you hear fax tones from the sending fax machine.
6. After the device begins to receive the fax, you can hang up the phone or remain on the line. The phone line is silent during fax transmission.
Jan 30, 2011 |
HP 1250 Plain Paper Thermal Inkjet Fax