Question about Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Burnt hole in metal plate inside microwave oven

A burning smell and sparks occurred in my Whirlpool MT1100SHQ-1 microwave oven yesterday, and I now have a rather large (quarter-sized) burnt area in the metal. The metal is flaking off, possibly all the way through the metal plate. There is also soot on the top of the microwave above the burned area. Is it safe to continue to use the microwave as it is? Is it possible to fix/replace the plate, or is that unsafe?

Posted by on

  • iacah1998 Jan 08, 2009

    Ah - technically this "metal plate" is the Wave Guide Cover.

×

1 Answer

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Genius:

    An expert who has answered 1,000 questions.

  • Contributor
  • 1,199 Answers

Ok stop useing oven and unplug! THIS CAN BE FIXED!!! Go to a home improvment store and buy a small bottle of white liquid enamal....Clean up the area that is missing and flakeing and then apply the enamel over the hole and let dry overnight! now that the exposed metal is covered back up it is safe to use and will not spark or cause any more soot!
PLEASE rate my response to your question!
THANK YOU!

Posted on Jan 08, 2009

1 Suggested Answer

heatman101
  • 43501 Answers

SOURCE: inside metal plate is burnt

Hi,
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with yourMicrowave Oven....

Microwave Oven Basic Troubleshooting Tips

heatman101

Posted on Aug 10, 2011

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

2 Answers

Sparks when cooking


Make sure no metal item (forks-spoons or oven rack) is touching the outer wall of the microwave. That will cause sparks. If all that is OK then there is usually a metal fan type blade in the microwave top called a stirrer blade that may be out of place and rubbing the cavity causing sparks. Try to pin point the spark area so you know where to look for the problem. Sparks usually mean metal is touching metal somewhere.

Mar 29, 2015 | Whirlpool MH7135XE Microwave Oven

1 Answer

My Goldstar MV-1310W microwave has sparks flying from the metal plate that's inside on the top.


Microwave ovens do not work well with exposed metal. IF you place uncoated metal in the oven, sparks will occur.
IF the interior of the oven has the metal exposed, it will cause sparking to occur.

There must be NO exposed metal inside a Microwave oven!

Aug 15, 2011 | Goldstar MV-1310W/B Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Inside metal plate is burnt on the top part of the microwave and there is a hole


Hi,
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with yourMicrowave Oven....

Microwave Oven Basic Troubleshooting Tips

heatman101

Aug 09, 2011 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Fiber plate inside microwave burned out- Sugges Alternative


I had the same problem several years ago. I took it out and just left a hole. No problems yet.

Sep 07, 2009 | Goldstar MV-1526 Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Smells like burnt wires


It is very possible it may have burnt wire or burnt capacitor. Remove unit, remove top cover and look inside to see if you see any burn marks or burnt wires. Also check fuse to see if it is good or not.

Aug 07, 2009 | Whirlpool MH1141XM Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Finding a user manual for a microwave oven


whirlpool microwave oven...Model #MT1100SHQ-1 ...output 110 watts..need a user manual to download..help thanks susan

Apr 15, 2009 | Elite Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

My Sanyo 1000W microwave is shooting sparks!!!


you need to replace the cavity cover "the cardboard like",the antenna bearing set "the gun barrel like" and the gear motor.If the "gun barrel like" is stuck up because the gear motor is not rotating excessive heat will occur inside the microwave thus burning the cavity cover.

Mar 20, 2009 | Sanyo EM-A5200SW Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Burning smell from microwave


This is the waveguide cover / stirrer cover.

Quite often this is due to grease or food particles stuck to the inside of the oven or stuck on or behind the waveguide cover.

It can be fragile, and the metal edges of the oven behind it can be sharp, so be careful!

The cover and the metal behind it should be cleaned with a mild, non-ammonia cleaner.

If the cavity metal of the oven is chipped or charred, it will have to be sanded smooth and clean and dried thoroughly.

Then you can apply some high-temperature appliance paint, available from places like Wal-Mart, Lowe's or Builder's Square.

If your waveguide cover is burned, it will need to be replaced. It provides important protection for the magnetron.

Please reply back with your brand and model number so we can help you in obtaining parts.

Otherwise, you can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here.

We're happy to help you and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Jul 19, 2008 | Whirlpool MH6130XEB/Q Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Whirlpool Microwave


The magnetron has failed and has damaged the waveguide. This type of failure is generally unrepairable. First look in your owners manual for specific warranties, then contact Whirlpool and explain to them what has happened.

If you need further assistance, let me know
Regards,
reg501

Jul 07, 2008 | Whirlpool GT4175S Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

4,444 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17129 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

Are you a Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...